Home » breakfast » (The Fluffiest!) Keto Pancakes 🥞 gluten free & dairy free

(The Fluffiest!) Keto Pancakes 🥞 gluten free & dairy free

We’re talking extra fluffy, absolutely delicious and easy-peasy keto pancakes! An ideal breakfast treat with only 15 minutes active time and just 1g net carb a pop.

Note: this recipe was first published on March 25th 2019, but has since been updated to provide more deets ‘n tricks! Oh, and feel free to check out our (ultra fresh!) keto blueberry pancakes!

A stack of keto pancakes with sugar free syrup and strawberry slices
(The Fluffiest!) Dairy Free & Keto Pancakes

Gluten Free & Keto Pancakes

An Extra Fluffy Affair!

Is this the most requested recipe or what?! I’m fully aware that it’s taken me a year and a half to deliver a legit keto pancake recipe… but here we are! And trust me, they were worth the wait.

They’re properly fluffy, absolutely delicious and incredibly easy. And all you need to do is whisk away! No whipped egg whites, no wet centers (!!) and no crumbly messes (guaranteed!).

Be sure to serve them up with grass-fed butter and sugar free syrup (this allulose maple syrup is def my current favorite).

Or how about a generous caramel drizzle?! Alternatively, a strawberries ‘n cream situation is wonderful too… and you can even do a pan-cake (literally) with our buttercream frosting!

With this recipe I’m introducing a couple new flours for you guys: lupin flour (this is the only brand I recommend*) or fat-reduced almond flour! I originally recommended Sukrin, but you guys have had them sold out for months… and so thanks to you I tried Barney’s Butter Powder Almond Butter, which is in essence the same thing!

*Lupin flour will give you the absolute fluffiest keto pancakes ever (!!). Just note that not all brands are equal here (at all!), and many have a lingering bitter aftertaste. So pretty please stick to the recommended brand for best results!

The big plus about lupin?! It’s a great prebiotic fiber, that just so happens to be suuuper low carb and high in protein. i.e. a total keto win you guys!

Now, let’s talk fat-reduced almond flour! It’s similar to most peanut flours out there (such as Anthony’s), in that it has been cold-pressed to remove 80% of its fat*. This essentially reduces calorie content by 50% (hooray!), and makes for some seriously fluffy baked goods (double hooray)!

You may also notice Sukrin is a bit pricier than your usual almond flour (this doesn’t hold true for Barney’s anymore, which is actually less expensive!). But otherwise take into account that you’ll be using half the amount (roughly)… which actually makes it pretty much the same price once you get baking (2 cents/gram)!

Note: lot of you have asked in the comments “why would you remove the fat for keto”?! It’s honestly nothing to do with macros, but about its superb baking qualities. Plus, keto baked goods also have added butter etc, so trust me… its not like you’re actually missing out. And also note that it’s a bit of a myth that you need to ‘stuff your face’ with fat while on keto, as the point is for your body to use your own stored fat (right?!).

Otherwise you’ll still be adding a touch of super fine almond flour and xanthan gum, and we’re golden.

Borrowed from molecular cooking, xanthan gum is the binding agent which makes your toothpaste jelly-like (and your cream cheese, well cream cheese-like). And it’s also the most common gluten-replacer in gluten free baking. And while you could technically replace it with about 2 teaspoons of golden flaxseed meal, the pancakes do come out muuuuch fluffier with it!

A stack of gluten free & keto pancakes with a pat of butter
(The Fluffiest!) Dairy Free & Keto Pancakes

Tips ‘N Tricks

Honestly there’s no science to these wonderfully fluffy keto pancakes, as you simply whisk away!

The one thing to keep in mind is that, per standard with grain free baked goods, your batter will be a lot thicker than your standard gluten pancakes. So to cook, you’ll spoon roughly 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup onto your pan or skillet and gently spread it with a wet spoon or spatula.

And do keep in mind that you can play with the level of fluffiness. I used 4 tablespoons of almond milk for these, but you could easily do 6 to 8 for thinner pancakes!

Oh, and also note that for the ‘milk’ you can do almond (or any nut) milk, half heavy cream half water, or even add some sour cream for a ‘buttermilk’ kick.

Overhead shot of cut into keto pancakes with strawberry slices
(The Fluffiest!) Dairy Free & Keto Pancakes

Can I Make Keto Waffles Too?!

Yes you can! In fact, they come out actually crispy (crazy right?!). So while our famous keto waffle recipe will give you impossibly fluffy goodies, these do a solid job at crisping up*. The only thing you need to do is up the ‘milk’ to 6-8 tablespoons!

*Just note that I found a difference in crispiness between my two waffle makers (Belgian and regular)… but nothing that a good toast couldn’t fix! And if you like them extra crisp, a skillet at low temperature is always the way to go.

Looking for more non-egg low carb and keto breakfast ideas? Check out our cinnamon toast crunch, chia pudding and our ‘top secret’ granola!

Cut into keto pancakes showing a fluffy texture
(The Fluffiest!) Dairy Free & Keto Pancakes
A stack of keto pancakes with sugar free syrup and strawberry slices

(The Fluffiest!) Keto Pancakes

We're talking extra fluffy, absolutely delicious and easy-peasy keto pancakes! An ideal breakfast treat with only 15 minutes active time and under 1g net carb a pop.
4.94 from 48 votes
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Resting Time 15 mins
Total Time 15 mins
Course Breakfast, Dessert
Cuisine American
Servings 5 pancakes
Calories 79 kcal

Serving suggestions

• Mix lupin flour (or fat-reduced almond flour), almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
  • Whisk thoroughly together in a medium bowl the eggs, butter and vanilla extract. Whisk in the dry ingredients followed by the milk, a tablespoon at a time. You can play with the thickness a bit, but I found the best consistency to be with 4 TBSP (the batter is thicker than with regular pancakes, but will spread easily into a round). Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes while you heat up a skillet or pan.
  • Add a little butter to the pan, pour in about 1/4 cup of batter, spreading it slightly to help it form a nice round (you can use a wet spoon or spatula). Cook over medium heat until the top begins to darken, flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Serve right away with toppings of choice.

Notes

*The Flours

• With this recipe I'm introducing a couple new flours for you guys: lupin flour (this is the only brand I recommend) or fat-reduced almond flour! I originally recommended Sukrin, but you guys have had them sold out for months... and so thanks to you I tried Barney's Butter Powder Almond Butter, which is in essence the same thing!
  • Lupin flour will give you the absolute fluffiest keto pancakes ever (!!). Just note that not all brands are equal here (at all!), and many have a lingering bitter aftertaste. So pretty please stick to the recommended brand for best results!
  • The big plus about lupin?! It's a great prebiotic fiber, that just so happens to be suuuper low carb and high in protein. i.e. a total keto win you guys!
  • Now, let's talk fat-reduced almond flour! It's similar to most peanut flours out there (such as Anthony's), in that it has been cold-pressed to remove 80% of its fat*. This essentially reduces calorie content by 50% (hooray!), and makes for some seriously fluffy baked goods (double hooray)!

**The Milk

You can do almond (or any nut) milk, half heavy cream half water, or even add some sour cream for a ‘buttermilk’ kick.

Nutrition

Serving: 1pancake | Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.5g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 1.5g | Sugar: 0.6g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.4mg
Keyword dairy free pancakes, keto pancakes, low carb pancakes
Whip up this recipe?Comment below or drop me a line @gnomgnom._ and tag #gnomgnomyum!

1. Dawn says:

Fantastic!!!!! Absolutely zero need to make flour-based ones. They were delicious. No way in the world I was going to get 5 out of that batter. No matter; I’ll just make a bigger batch next time. I also took your recommendation for the Allulose syrup – perfect.

2. Kathy Cooke says:

Delicious! Fluffy? Boy we’re these the fluffiest pancakes I’ve ever seen! Hooray for lupin flour! I tripled the recipe and got eight, 4-5” diameter pancakes a little over 1/3” thick. So I was glad I tripled it. Served with sugar-free maple syrup and popped a few blueberries in each pancake before flipping them. Augmented with some homemade, maple-sage breakfast sausage. Primo!

3. Nancy says:

ASTOUNDINGLY FANTASTIC!!! How can I use the Barney’s (in what proportions) with regular almond flour in your other recipes? I’m keto, but need to watch the calories too. This would allow so much more flex on portion sizes.

4. Merry says:

Can these pancakes be frozen after cooking? Or could I keep the mix refrigerated, and make some up the next day. I am cooking for one, so 5 pancakes would be too many in one go! Thank You

5. Kara says:

These are AWESOME!! They look, taste, and have the texture of “wheat” pancakes! It’s absolutely INCREDIBLE!! I made a double batch and added 1 cup blueberries. I use Whole Earth monk/stevia/erythritol blend, and 3 tsp or 1 tbsp was perfect for the double batch. I also bought both lupin AND reduced fat almond flour (Barneys). I did half of each flour just in case the lupin was bitter, but I couldn’t detect any bitterness at all. Next I’ll try the lupin on its own. Thank you so much for bringing pancakes back into my life!

• Susan says:

Just made these and like everything else on your site they we’re amazing. Look odd in the pan and tricky to flip but worth it and you literally can’t tell when you eat them they are not loaded with carbs, they are melt in the mouth fluffy. Thank you! PS I’m in Australia and I used “Lupins for Life” Lupin flour from Foodland – not bitter at all, perfect.

6. SharonGN says:

Paola, Thank you! My daughter has been looking for a good pancake/waffle recipe for ever so I’m going to share with her.

7. Becky Rae says:

Will the pancakes turn out ok if I go ahead and use peanut flour instead of almond? My daughter and I are both allergic to tree nuts, but she can eat peanuts.

She is also allergic to egg, so keto cooking is a challenge unless i cook 2 different meals, which is really unrealistic because it is just the two of us. Thank you for posting egg free options!!

8. Annette says:

Hi Paola

I just recently came across your page and have been seriously missing out!! These are the best keto pancakes I’ve had in the last two years I’ve been doing keto!! Even my extremely picky, hard to please, husband liked them!!! I mistakenly used 2 tablespoons melted butter instead of 2 teaspoons but they came out just fine!! Thanks for the great recipes! I’m a new, regular follower! Can’t wait to make more of your recipes!

• Tara Calestani says:

Hello Annette was wondering when you made them what flour did you use, I am a little confused on them are you just using 1 flour in the recipe? Are the other alternatives? Just unclear for me. Thanks in advance for the assist! Tara

9. Claire Ed says:

Hi Paola,
    Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I haven’t tried it yet because I’m based in the UK and can’t hold of any of the specific flour brands that you recommend.
    Have you tried any other lupin flour brands that work just as well that are available, or is it best to just go with a low fat almond flour?
    Thank you so much, your recipes are honestly amazing and the best Keto food on the planet! (and I’ve tried a lot)
    Claire

10. Stef says:

These taste very good but it makes no difference when you cant eat them. They burn before they ever cook, so you have to either eat raw pancakes or burn the ever living out of them, REGARDLESS of the heat. But again, that doesnt make a difference because there is literally no structural integrity and they IMMEDIATELY fall apart. I followed this recipe to the gram and I dont know how any of you could possibly cook these. So disappointed that I wasted ingredients and time on this. Also, the ads on this website really make it hard to read, especially the ones that play videos that you cant close. Everything about thos made me mad.

11. Pebbles Worthington says:

I follow you and make a LOT of your recipes. They never disappoint. These pancakes are so amazing! They are absolutely on point and I cannot even believe how long it took me to get busy and whip them up, They are easy, quick, and delicious! I added blueberries that were fixing to go bad and they just pushed this recipe over the top. Thanks for all you do!

12. Galit says:

WOW!
    These are simply amazing in taste and texture. My kids happiness is all I care about and when they are happy, I’m happier.
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with the world and making so many people happy!!

I had no maple syrup that is Keto At home so I boiled banana flavored Jordan skinny syrup with cinnamon powder and it was delicious!
    Thanks again.

13. Miranda Mays says:

Thank you, thank you! I have been a follower of your website and subscriber to your recipe newsletter for over 2 years! I don’t know why I haven’t tried your pancakes before! They are THE BEST Keto pancakes I have ever tried to make! I love that they are not eggy tasting or coconut tasting. They tasted almost exactly like regular full-carb pancakes!! They were light and fluffy (or fluffier than any other keto pancake recipe I’ve tried, and believe me, I’ve tried about 12 different ones). I did make some adjustments though, because I did not have everything you listed on hand…I used almost 1/3 regular almond flour instead of the lupin flour (I want to try this, but it’s been a bit too expensive for me; maybe soon) and added 2 tablespoons of PB peanut butter powder to equal to 1/3 cup. Then I added the other 2 tablespoons of almond flour. I used 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of water (my eldest son used almost all of my almond milk and won’t own up to it, LOL). Amazing!!! Again, I cannot thank you enough!

Sincerely,

Miranda

P.S. I also love how you put a substitute list of ingredients that we can use if we don’t have the same things on hand that you have for your recipes! You are a life-saver when it comes to my brain, saving time and effort, and of course $$$.