This gluten free, paleo and keto bbq sauce is so awesome, easy-peasy and super quick! Think just 15 minutes and trust you’ll never go bottled again.
Paleo & Keto BBQ Sauce 🍖
The best things in life take a little work, and BBQ sauce is no exception. So forget the bottled up version (which is more often than not loaded with additives and sugars btw), and make your own barbecue sauce from scratch. Which takes just 15 minutes of your time, so you’ll actually be done before you know it.
Let’s start off by stating the obvious: there’s no single best way to make barbecue sauce. As depending on where you find yourself, the ingredients will vary vastly.
Starting with the vinegar, ground black pepper, and hot pepper flakes base from South Carolina. This version yields a killer mopping sauce (i.e. to baste the meat while cooking, and as a dipping sauce when served). A double-duty sauce, sort of thing. This BBQ sauce can be made with no sugar, keeping it thin and sharp.
15-Minute Gluten Free, Paleo & Keto BBQ Sauce
- 80 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chipotle powder to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon arrowroot or 1/4 tsp konjac powder
- 120 ml hot water optional
- 1-3 tablespoons xylitol optional, to taste
- Mix vinegar, olive oil, paprika, oregano, garlic, black pep- per, cumin, chipotle, cayenne, salt and water in a saucepan over medium/low heat. Add sweetener to taste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make a glaze by dissolving the arrowroot or konjac pow- der in a couple tablespoons of water. Whisk the slurry into the sauce. Continue to simmer, whisking constantly to avoid lumps, just until desired consistency is reached (arrowroot breaks down in prolonged heat). Feel free to thin out with more water as needed, or thicken with more arrowroot (keep- ing in mind that your sauce will continue to thicken while cool- ing).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.