Home » healing journey » My ‘Before & After’!! (& Some Suuuper Exciting News!)

My ‘Before & After’!! (& Some Suuuper Exciting News!)

My before and after with my electric scooter
My before and after with my electric scooter

My dear friends,

First of all, allow me to share some very exciting news from last week with you all: I was finally able to give away my wheelchair (!!!!!!). Yup, that’s me on the left at that very moment (vs back in June during my first outing with Dedal!)!

(For those just tuning in, you can read ‘my story’ over here)

But how’ve you all been?! I sincerely hope well and the year has been off to a good start. But if not, that’s also ok; and perhaps I should even say ‘join the club’?

Because in case you guys noticed (the internet is a big place so I’m sure many of you didn’t), but I went pretty MIA sometime around November… or was it October?!

It’s been a bit of a haze to be honest. But let’s just say I’ve also gotten to experience the true meanings of mental health and ‘self care’.

But let’s rewind a bit, because I don’t want to scare you guys! As I mentioned in the beginning, I’ve been well and thriving.

I mean… I’m actually walking now (!!). It’s been a rocky ride over the past year and a half, but I can actually walk Dedal (you know, my pup!) for about 20 minutes now.

Side note: who walks who is another story!

Overall, moving my body again after a year of being pretty much completely immobilized has been a tough one. Because, as many of you will relate, atrophied muscles are no joke; and I’ve had to work on my entire body and mind.

So, over the past few months, ‘my recovery’ has perhaps taken more of a tall mentally than physically. And, to be honest, this blind sighted me a bit.

I’ve literally had to get used to being outside again and all the stimuli that comes with it. So I’m easily tired and have had to rest so much still.

(Let’s just say that the Hollywood tales of people waking up from comas and walking around a week after are The Biggest Lie Ever. Like lmao guys.)

But at the same time let’s not negate the obvious, and it is that (on the grand scale) it’s been an incredibly rewarding experience. And, as crazy as it may sound, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world

It simply put my entire life into perspective and allowed me to get to know myself pretty well. Because trust me, we are all way more resilient than we know; and sometimes it takes unthinkable circumstances to know what we’re truly made of.

But anyways! Moving my body again without nerve pain has been pretty neat too lol. So I start every morning, with indescribable pleasure, dancing to either Mexican cumbia (shoutout to Los Angeles Azules!) or some chill techno (lol, I know).

Needless to say, the gratitude is immense.

But equally, and to be completely frank, I’ve felt a deep disconnect to pretty much everything in my life.

I’ve felt adrift.

Because, while I’m ‘still me’, I’m also a radically different person. And, of course, this is to be expected. My life changed twice over the past two years and, in a way, I’m still finding my footing.

So these past few months have been equally marvelous and tough. Because, as I discussed with my therapist this past week, I understand now that I have been mourning the person I was.

The life I had. So I’ve been a little bit sad, melancholic and have spent a lot of time in solitude just ‘processing’ it all.

Which is also why I’ve decided to stay in LA you guys.

This city has been good to me. I’ve met wonderful humans, who have shown me incredible kindness (like so many of you, my dear peeps!).

So what’s next here?! I actually have a big (enormous, gigantic!) surprise coming at you in the next couple weeks.

And I’m not going to tell you more now, other than its The Single Most Important Recipe I’ve Ever Developed… and we managed to turn it into a product for you guys! I can’t wait to tell you more suuuper soon!!

But, other than that, my life has been pretty quiet; I suppose we can say that my ‘full-time’ job has been getting back on my feet! So I’ve just been getting back in the groove of things these past couple weeks: doing some easy cooking, baking and just enjoying the flow of things.

Because, since we’re being completely honest here, all I’ve wanted to do over these past few months with my free time is be outside and enjoy the fresh air and, most importantly, feel like I am ‘living my life’ once again.

So in a way I’m sorry that I haven’t been sharing that many new recipes… but I’m also fairly certain that you can probably understand why I’ve had to take some time away from it all to heal.

Because you guys, I can’t say it enough…! I’m forever grateful, crazy excited and incredibly humbled that I have the opportunity to live once again in a completely healthy body.

Because the fact that I am able to care for myself (and Dedal!) once again, is such a privilege.

So thank you my friends for always taking the time to write, comment, send love and simply be the ace humans that you are! Because, just in case it isn’t crystal clear, this community plays a big role in my gratitude.

Sending you all hugs, kisses, all the best vibes and speak soon!

Paola

1. JG says:

Wonderful, Paola! May many joys and blessings continue to unfold for you in this wonderful (albeit often difficult) life!
    Thank you for so many wonderful (there’s that word again!) recipes; new or old, I revisit them often and they’re so helpful to living a healthful, wonderful 😀 life.

2. Pamela says:

Dearest Paola,
    I am so happy to see you up and out and very grateful you are experiencing wellness again! Your site is so rich and varied that although your active presence has been missed it has still been a “wealth of goodies and health”! Looking forward to all the wonderful new things that will no doubt be coming from your new healthy self.
    Sending love to and gratitude for you and your work as your keeps my new me healthier and happier. What a blessing you are!

3. Bostonia says:

Paola – You are an inspiration! Your last post made me tear up. Thank you for sharing!

Following a gluten-free diet which leans keto [I’ll be there one day!] has made my auto-immune problems 0! Your cracker recipe is a family favorite. Keep your recipes coming!!

4. Nicole says:

Dear Paula,

I am very happy about your progress. May God help you to fully recover. I am very grateful for your website. The best keto recipes. It has made my diet much easier to follow and more delicious. Thank you for everything.

5. Jane says:

Congratulations on your recovery! What you have achieved is nothing short of miraculous. Thanks so much for your hard work and effort to bring what I think is very top notch recipes to the Keto world. I just made the banana bread last week and it was beyond good! It stayed moist and delicious right down to the last morsel. The granola is another one of my all time favorites. You have the knack, my dear. Thank you.

6. Anne M Storm says:

Paola,
    I can relate to your story, thanks for sharing.
    I have anxiety disorder ~ from early childhood. My Mom has it too, jolly. I married a man with un-diagnosed bi-polar, and have two daughters with bi-polar; our sons aren’t symptomatic.
    To make life extra exciting, my youngest has Addison’s, a autoimmune disorder that KO’s your adrenal gland and requires 2-3 x daily meds or coma/death come knocking.
    I began cooking as a way of ensuring my family’s health. We ate some pretty weird things ~ tofu everything, turmeric everything, you name it. It wasn’t until we discovered
    keto/low carb that we all felt better and even got off some drugs! Win! Turns out sugar is hell on anxiety and mood disorders. Love what you do, the generosity you share, and wish you a full healing of mind and body. : )

7. Uma says:

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Wonderful to hear that you are feeling so much better now and hope you come up with exciting recipes😊. I have tried a few of your recipes and they are absolutely amazing.. you are THE BEST!

8. Karen says:

I am so happy for you! Of course because you are healing, but also because you have taken this hardship and used it to grow. You are an inspiration for me, as I am going through a different kind of hardship right now and sometimes lose hope. You have reminded me that it is possible to come out on the other side ok, better even. Thank you.

9. Laurie says:

I’m so happy for you! I’ve had a hard journey of severe pain for the past 6 years, with no end in sight, but you give me hope!

10. Kate says:

Paola, discovering your website opened up a whole new world for me…realizing that adopting a necessary low-carb lifestyle didn’t mean the end of delicious food treats. (Honestly, making your chocolate ice cream for the first time was MIND-BLOWING. And started me on the path to many other wonderful things.) Your recipes are amazing. But obviously, you’re amazing too. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Heal well!

11. Emarieb720 says:

So glad you are up and at ’em. Prayers for a continued and complete restoration of health and energy. You continue to inspire, entertain and amaze! God bless!

12. Heather Jeffers says:

Paola, your outlook and attitude are so inspiring!! Isn’t gratitude everything? Speaking of gratitude, I am forever grateful for you and gnom gnom. It’s the first place I look when I need a keto re-do of a classic favorite. Your recipes have never disappointed!! Always fantastic. Your work and love of good food has made my life so much better. Thank you.

13. Mary P Alexander Brum says:

Paolo, Congratulations on your recovery. You did the right thing these couple of months to discover the new YOU! Same person as before with an updated resume of new life experiences. I understand sciatic nerve pain as I had that injury in 2007 but I was not wheelchair-bound as you were, thank goodness. I used a wheelchair only when at the hospital for a visit during the worse times. My sciatic nerve pain returns several times a year and is disabling and right up there at 12 on the Richter scale. Indescribable! Thanks for all the recipes, yours are the best so far for me. I am allergic to eggs and it is easy to sub other ingredients to replace it as your recipes are so well developed it allows for minor changes like that. Thanks for sharing, your positivity is inspiring.

14. Lori says:

So happy to hear you’re doing better! Enjoy being outside and enjoy that cute puppy! Thanks for all your wonderful recipes. They are amazing and so helpful.

15. Angelique says:

Paola! Awesomazing!!! Take care of yourself and the rest will follow! Thanks for opening up! Something you wrote above made me think you may like to read The Power of Now, by Eckart Tolle. It made me happy to read that are doing better every day, and bubbling with new projects and excitement! Weeeee! 😘😘

16. Gail Gordon says:

I’m so happy that you are on the road to recovery. I have been patiently waiting for your next recipe but I’m here until your up to the task. Take your time and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You are a good soul and I wish you all the best.

Your Keto buddy, Gail G

17. Gracie says:

yippee I can relate a little. Broke 3 bones in my leg…wheelchair to crutches to brace to rebuilding atrophy muscles. So glad you shared your thoughts because I feel inspired and normal about what I’ve been feeling. You had a loooong road of recovery, way to go!!!!! It is great to have a LFT (look forward to) can’t wait for you to reveal your surprise.

18. Milena says:

CONGRATULATIONS on your recovery! Whether it’s slow and steady, quick, up and then down- you sound like you are moving in the right direction! Screen time, social media, all that Jazz (even though it was/is a big part of your life) doesn’t matter- what matters is you, yourself, and happiness. It all starts with you! I’m still learning this as well.. anyway, you’ve got recipes to last a person a year! And you’ve got a great big fan base that’s not going anywhere. Sending much love your way!

19. Shaay Gallagher-Starr says:

Paola, you have been such a huge presence in my life and my own journey to health these past 2 years. I am thrilled that you are once again living in e healthy body, free from pain! That’s simply the best news.

Continue to make yourself and your healing a priority, please. As much as we all value your work, YOU yourself are far more important.

20. Kimberly Neel Adams says:

I am so very delighted that you are walking !!! Outstanding!!!! So very thrilled that you have your life back and can not wait for the exciting news that you will share with us soon. What a wondrous life testimony to yourself and those who are struggling with various other trials in there own lives, what a great example you have been to others.

21. Erin says:

My goodness, I am ecstatic to hear about your continuing recovery. We take our health for granted until we no longer have it. It certainly sounds like you are grateful for what you now have. I hope you continue to get well and live all that you can. So happy for you!!!

22. Pam says:

Hey, the most important thing is that your health and well being comes before recipes. Like so many others, I can patiently wait, enjoy the recipes you have already provided, until you are once more whole and healthy. I love, love, love the recipes I have tried and there are so many more I want to try, but have to wait until I can afford some of the ingredients. For myself, I’m super excited to find someone, other than myself, who cooks and bakes at high altitude (almost 9,000 ft.) Knowing your recipes are already adjusted for high altitude has been a God send to me. I can’t thank you enough! Keep getting stronger and healthier.

23. Kevin Stephani says:

You have been an amazing inspiration to so many of us. Thanks for fueling my mind body and soul with your creative dedication. You have my support, well wishes and eternal thanks….

Way to go Paola!!!

24. Romina says:

Estamos muy felices de escuchar tan buenas noticias tuyas Paola!!! Mi familia adora tus recetas y hemos estado usando tu website non-stop. La gente que te sigue como nosotros queremos que estes bien, ni te preocupes por no haber agregado contenido nuevo a tu website. Enjoy your walks and your life!!!
    Te mandamos un gran abrazo y que sigas para adelante con tu recuperación.

25. Sally Schnitzius says:

Oh, Paola, I am so happy for you. You do not mention a husband or anyone who helped you get through this journey; I just hope you didn’t have to go through the pain all alone. You are so cute; I love all the pictures of you. I wish I had been your grandmother, even at 83. Keep inspiring all of us with your endearing stories & terrific recipes. God bless you.

26. Tracy says:

Awesome!
    That is so exciting! Totally know & understand the atrophied thing. Going to work on strengthening myself this Summer when my girl home from college (need someone to drag me back home when I pass out or body gives out LOL). My couch and I are VERY close and I’d really rather we be more of just acquaintances. Auto-immunes suck!
    Enjoy the “freedom” of legs again and the journey to healing. You are a go to for me…Thank you!

27. Marcella says:

So happy you are doing better. Rock on queen of keto! Your recipes are the best. Sending you all good vibes.

28. Carol says:

Paola,
    I’m So glad that you are doing better.
    I’m sure I speak for many people when I say your talent in baking, and cooking Seems to be leaps, and bounds above anyone else…
    You have a great gift… Continue to get better. We all need you.
    Is it true that a lot of your baking is done at high altitude? Asking Because I live at 4000′. Thank you,
    Carol, in Prineville Oregon