Home » healing journey » My ‘Before & After’!! (& Some Suuuper Exciting News!)

My ‘Before & After’!! (& Some Suuuper Exciting News!)

My before and after with my electric scooter
My before and after with my electric scooter

My dear friends,

First of all, allow me to share some very exciting news from last week with you all: I was finally able to give away my wheelchair (!!!!!!). Yup, that’s me on the left at that very moment (vs back in June during my first outing with Dedal!)!

(For those just tuning in, you can read ‘my story’ over here)

But how’ve you all been?! I sincerely hope well and the year has been off to a good start. But if not, that’s also ok; and perhaps I should even say ‘join the club’?

Because in case you guys noticed (the internet is a big place so I’m sure many of you didn’t), but I went pretty MIA sometime around November… or was it October?!

It’s been a bit of a haze to be honest. But let’s just say I’ve also gotten to experience the true meanings of mental health and ‘self care’.

But let’s rewind a bit, because I don’t want to scare you guys! As I mentioned in the beginning, I’ve been well and thriving.

I mean… I’m actually walking now (!!). It’s been a rocky ride over the past year and a half, but I can actually walk Dedal (you know, my pup!) for about 20 minutes now.

Side note: who walks who is another story!

Overall, moving my body again after a year of being pretty much completely immobilized has been a tough one. Because, as many of you will relate, atrophied muscles are no joke; and I’ve had to work on my entire body and mind.

So, over the past few months, ‘my recovery’ has perhaps taken more of a tall mentally than physically. And, to be honest, this blind sighted me a bit.

I’ve literally had to get used to being outside again and all the stimuli that comes with it. So I’m easily tired and have had to rest so much still.

(Let’s just say that the Hollywood tales of people waking up from comas and walking around a week after are The Biggest Lie Ever. Like lmao guys.)

But at the same time let’s not negate the obvious, and it is that (on the grand scale) it’s been an incredibly rewarding experience. And, as crazy as it may sound, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world

It simply put my entire life into perspective and allowed me to get to know myself pretty well. Because trust me, we are all way more resilient than we know; and sometimes it takes unthinkable circumstances to know what we’re truly made of.

But anyways! Moving my body again without nerve pain has been pretty neat too lol. So I start every morning, with indescribable pleasure, dancing to either Mexican cumbia (shoutout to Los Angeles Azules!) or some chill techno (lol, I know).

Needless to say, the gratitude is immense.

But equally, and to be completely frank, I’ve felt a deep disconnect to pretty much everything in my life.

I’ve felt adrift.

Because, while I’m ‘still me’, I’m also a radically different person. And, of course, this is to be expected. My life changed twice over the past two years and, in a way, I’m still finding my footing.

So these past few months have been equally marvelous and tough. Because, as I discussed with my therapist this past week, I understand now that I have been mourning the person I was.

The life I had. So I’ve been a little bit sad, melancholic and have spent a lot of time in solitude just ‘processing’ it all.

Which is also why I’ve decided to stay in LA you guys.

This city has been good to me. I’ve met wonderful humans, who have shown me incredible kindness (like so many of you, my dear peeps!).

So what’s next here?! I actually have a big (enormous, gigantic!) surprise coming at you in the next couple weeks.

And I’m not going to tell you more now, other than its The Single Most Important Recipe I’ve Ever Developed… and we managed to turn it into a product for you guys! I can’t wait to tell you more suuuper soon!!

But, other than that, my life has been pretty quiet; I suppose we can say that my ‘full-time’ job has been getting back on my feet! So I’ve just been getting back in the groove of things these past couple weeks: doing some easy cooking, baking and just enjoying the flow of things.

Because, since we’re being completely honest here, all I’ve wanted to do over these past few months with my free time is be outside and enjoy the fresh air and, most importantly, feel like I am ‘living my life’ once again.

So in a way I’m sorry that I haven’t been sharing that many new recipes… but I’m also fairly certain that you can probably understand why I’ve had to take some time away from it all to heal.

Because you guys, I can’t say it enough…! I’m forever grateful, crazy excited and incredibly humbled that I have the opportunity to live once again in a completely healthy body.

Because the fact that I am able to care for myself (and Dedal!) once again, is such a privilege.

So thank you my friends for always taking the time to write, comment, send love and simply be the ace humans that you are! Because, just in case it isn’t crystal clear, this community plays a big role in my gratitude.

Sending you all hugs, kisses, all the best vibes and speak soon!

Paola

1. Joelle O Dunklin says:

Welcome back, I have missed your recipes. You are my go to! Thank you for your honesty. I’m glad you’re on the mend. Your progress is HUGE! Congratulations.

2. Leslie Jimenez says:

So glad you shared this with me! Glad you are better, your letter is so happy and bubbly. Wishing you the best

3. Gina says:

Wow!! It’s awesome news hun! So happy and excited for you!

Can’t wait for what’s to come!!
    Enjoy your journey and keep inspiring us all!

🌷

4. Steph says:

So happy to read your most excellent happy update!! Wishing you all the best and can’t wait to know more about your surprise!!!!!!

5. Arcement Yvonne says:

So very happy to hear that you are feeling so ‘back to yourself ‘. Gratitude is such a wonderful, healing thing. 💕

6. Dee says:

So happy for your healing! And I’m sure Dedal is happy too! Every time I would read one of your emails I would wonder how you were doing. Thank you for updating us.

7. Azza Elmaghawry says:

Paola, you mean a lot to me since I have been know your website!
    I shocked when I knew that you were on the wheelchair whole last year !!! But I got happy when I see your beautiful picture standing like a model 💗💗💗💗
    Welcome back ! Waiting for more incredible recipes my dearest🥰

8. Cheryl Pfeiffer says:

Such an inspirational picture, but even more it the way in which you are so transparent with your story. Thank you for that!! I believe that we as a society need to be more transparent with each other. Sadly social media gives us all a false sense of happiness. So again, HOORAY and THANK YOU!!!

9. Karen Wertman says:

This is the first opportunity I have taken to communicate. I have often wanted to thank you Paola for the extraordinary recipes that you have provided. As a rather good and passionate cook (even in restaurants in my younger days) when II was a bit adrift when I went keto for my health a few years ago. I have really been able to reclaim my cooking mojo thanks for the inspiration from your collection. But what inspired me to finally post to you now was the candor and vulnerability that you have shared about a very personal journey. I work running a large coworking community in the Bay Area and have seen the value of how authentic online community can support people in real life. Congratulations on your recovery and looking forward to more keto magic in the future.

10. PaulaMC says:

I’m new to this lifestyle of eating and you’ve made it very exciting. I’m still fighting a few things mentally but I will get there. Thank you for all the wonderful advice along with your wonderful recipes. All the best to you in this very positive future that lies ahead for you.

11. Cathy C. says:

So good to hear your health news!! I understand mourning your old self due to my very rare autoimmune disease and what it did to my body.
    Glad things have turned around for you!!

12. Shara says:

So glad to hear that you’ve taken time for yourself, you deserve it. As the age old saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. So proud of all you’ve accomplished and thank you for sharing all your recipes!! They are my go to for trying things yummy! Best of luck in your future endeavors!!

13. Fred Bath says:

I’m so glad you are recovering and feeling better!! You are one of my Keto hero. You are able to see things that others seem to miss. I am very grateful to you. So play on with food and I look forward to enjoying your new creations.

14. cherie says:

Paola I’m crying happy tears for you
    What a wondrous attitude you have – I know it’s not always easy and you’re not always at your best, but your positivity and open heart and acknowledgment of the gifts in the darkness is inspiring.
    HOORAY!
    Be gentle with your re-entry both IRL and online, go at your own pace and never mind anyone else.
    I look forward to hearing what’s next and am just so happy for you

15. Anita Faulkner says:

God bless you and thank you for sharing your story. I am dealing with multiple damaged nerves and am walker-dependent and you have encouraged me.

16. Kelly says:

Wow! Amazing to read this! Very happy for you… actually just read your story, and how you became in-bedded… Just amazing to read how keto has helped you in a such a meaningful way, helping with your disease! Your recipes are amazing, I do soooo many of them! Thank you and know that your story has truly inspired me today, reminding me what a gift it is to be alive and walking! Best wishes to you, Paola! Thank you for sharing not only a healthier way of life, but your story.

17. Sherry Campbell says:

I am thrilled that you are returning to good health!! We’ve missed you so much🙂 I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us, but more than that, I’m just so glad you’re on the upswing💜

18. Pat Katz says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. I am delighted you are “up & around’ and starting a newer life. It is not easy but it is worth every new and possibly improved way of living your new life to your newest fullest! Thank you again for your info and can not wait for your great news!

19. Jenny Garrison says:

AMAZING!!!!! I’m so happy for you Paola. I can’t wait to see more new things come our way…even if we don’t – I’m happy that you’re living your life. YOU come first. <3

20. Marilyn F Chiaramonte says:

God bless you, Paola, and welcome back! You probably will never know the impact you’ve had on so many people, so keep up the good work! Thank you for taking the time to share your story (and your incredible recipes) with all of us. We are truly blest to have you in our lives.

• Thank you so much Marilyn and bless you too! In all honesty I still have to pinch myself that this community came out of some of the most trying times of my life… the internet is pretty incredible and I’m equally blessed to have you all in my life!