Home » healing journey » My ‘Before & After’!! (& Some Suuuper Exciting News!)

My ‘Before & After’!! (& Some Suuuper Exciting News!)

My before and after with my electric scooter
My before and after with my electric scooter

My dear friends,

First of all, allow me to share some very exciting news from last week with you all: I was finally able to give away my wheelchair (!!!!!!). Yup, that’s me on the left at that very moment (vs back in June during my first outing with Dedal!)!

(For those just tuning in, you can read ‘my story’ over here)

But how’ve you all been?! I sincerely hope well and the year has been off to a good start. But if not, that’s also ok; and perhaps I should even say ‘join the club’?

Because in case you guys noticed (the internet is a big place so I’m sure many of you didn’t), but I went pretty MIA sometime around November… or was it October?!

It’s been a bit of a haze to be honest. But let’s just say I’ve also gotten to experience the true meanings of mental health and ‘self care’.

But let’s rewind a bit, because I don’t want to scare you guys! As I mentioned in the beginning, I’ve been well and thriving.

I mean… I’m actually walking now (!!). It’s been a rocky ride over the past year and a half, but I can actually walk Dedal (you know, my pup!) for about 20 minutes now.

Side note: who walks who is another story!

Overall, moving my body again after a year of being pretty much completely immobilized has been a tough one. Because, as many of you will relate, atrophied muscles are no joke; and I’ve had to work on my entire body and mind.

So, over the past few months, ‘my recovery’ has perhaps taken more of a tall mentally than physically. And, to be honest, this blind sighted me a bit.

I’ve literally had to get used to being outside again and all the stimuli that comes with it. So I’m easily tired and have had to rest so much still.

(Let’s just say that the Hollywood tales of people waking up from comas and walking around a week after are The Biggest Lie Ever. Like lmao guys.)

But at the same time let’s not negate the obvious, and it is that (on the grand scale) it’s been an incredibly rewarding experience. And, as crazy as it may sound, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world

It simply put my entire life into perspective and allowed me to get to know myself pretty well. Because trust me, we are all way more resilient than we know; and sometimes it takes unthinkable circumstances to know what we’re truly made of.

But anyways! Moving my body again without nerve pain has been pretty neat too lol. So I start every morning, with indescribable pleasure, dancing to either Mexican cumbia (shoutout to Los Angeles Azules!) or some chill techno (lol, I know).

Needless to say, the gratitude is immense.

But equally, and to be completely frank, I’ve felt a deep disconnect to pretty much everything in my life.

I’ve felt adrift.

Because, while I’m ‘still me’, I’m also a radically different person. And, of course, this is to be expected. My life changed twice over the past two years and, in a way, I’m still finding my footing.

So these past few months have been equally marvelous and tough. Because, as I discussed with my therapist this past week, I understand now that I have been mourning the person I was.

The life I had. So I’ve been a little bit sad, melancholic and have spent a lot of time in solitude just ‘processing’ it all.

Which is also why I’ve decided to stay in LA you guys.

This city has been good to me. I’ve met wonderful humans, who have shown me incredible kindness (like so many of you, my dear peeps!).

So what’s next here?! I actually have a big (enormous, gigantic!) surprise coming at you in the next couple weeks.

And I’m not going to tell you more now, other than its The Single Most Important Recipe I’ve Ever Developed… and we managed to turn it into a product for you guys! I can’t wait to tell you more suuuper soon!!

But, other than that, my life has been pretty quiet; I suppose we can say that my ‘full-time’ job has been getting back on my feet! So I’ve just been getting back in the groove of things these past couple weeks: doing some easy cooking, baking and just enjoying the flow of things.

Because, since we’re being completely honest here, all I’ve wanted to do over these past few months with my free time is be outside and enjoy the fresh air and, most importantly, feel like I am ‘living my life’ once again.

So in a way I’m sorry that I haven’t been sharing that many new recipes… but I’m also fairly certain that you can probably understand why I’ve had to take some time away from it all to heal.

Because you guys, I can’t say it enough…! I’m forever grateful, crazy excited and incredibly humbled that I have the opportunity to live once again in a completely healthy body.

Because the fact that I am able to care for myself (and Dedal!) once again, is such a privilege.

So thank you my friends for always taking the time to write, comment, send love and simply be the ace humans that you are! Because, just in case it isn’t crystal clear, this community plays a big role in my gratitude.

Sending you all hugs, kisses, all the best vibes and speak soon!

Paola

1. JD says:

Bravo, girl! Coming back from nerve pain is quite an accomplishment….and part miracle. (I understand) Thank you for nourishing our bodies with your wonderful recipes….all while you’ve been feeding your mind, body and soul back to health. Keep up the good work…looking forward to seeing what is yet to come.

2. Ethne Fergusson says:

May you find complete wholeness in your life, Spirit , soul ( will, mind, and emotions) , and body.Speak well over yourself. Words are powerful!
    You are such an inspiration to me, I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Agreeing with you for your total well being.
    Lots of love
    Ethne Fergusson
    United Kingdom

3. Paul and Terri says:

Congratulations on the walking milestone (or walking a mile maybe) Your journey and struggles resonate with me. After 20 plus years of back pain caused by degenerative disc disease I had an operation to implant new discs. That was 2007 and it took a lot of determination to get up and walk again but here I am still alive and kicking. My weight crept up over the years until last February my partner and I said ‘enough is enough’ and through great sites like yours we joined the keto lifestyle. So one year on and were both two stone lighter ( 28 lbs each ) and feeling great. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your recipies with us.

4. Kris says:

Paola, abundant blessings with you and continued prayers of healing and protection over you. Thank you for sharing all of your delicious recipes and your story as well. I read earlier today about living your passion where a lady said please share your story; we are all someone’s miracle! I thought that was so lovely and I had to share. You are a miracle and inspiration!!! I’m just beginning my healing and your words spoke to my soul. Thank you for being part of my healing journey too!!! Dedal is precious! Our beloved animals totally get us and are instrumental in our healing!!! Hugs!!!

5. your keto best fweind says:

I’m so happy to hear you’re back on your feet (and that you’re staying in LA!!). and. that. you’re. coming. out. with. a. new. product. !!

6. Mari Chapa says:

Felicidades amiga. Las bendiciones que has recibido las tienes bien merecidas! Dios siempre está contigo! ❤️❤️

7. Nancy says:

Dear Paola,

I am SOOOOOOO happy for you!! And glad you’re finally independently moblie and in the process of taking back your life. Sending hugs and blessings and prayers for your continued recovery.
    All the best, Nancy xo

8. Joanie says:

You dance girl!! Good to have you back! You’ve been missed! Looking forward to hearing your next big news, but truly it’s great to hear your up on your feet. Sending you good vibes
    xo joanie

9. Mary Arnold says:

I’m so thankful for your healing and I rejoice with you. You did the hard thing which many people are not willing to do, and that was to change your lifestyle. In making those changes you benefited all of us who enjoy your recipes. I’ve tried to do keto before but you’ve made it possible with your recipes and the wonderful instructions. I now have a keto kitchen and a body with much less joint pain. My life is much more enjoyable thanks to you.

10. Sherry says:

Congrats and thks for letting us know. I’m very excited for you outlook on life and await the exciting news.

11. Catherine says:

You are an inspiration. Your story stands alone, but also the work that you’ve done to make healthy living fun and delicious deserves an award. I’ve made countless recipes of yours living a keto lifestyle over the past 3 years, and they are always incredible! Thank you for being you, Paola! 🦸‍♀️👸💗

12. Margaret says:

Happy for you! I am in a wheelchair due to spina bifida, and there’s not at darned thing I can do about it.

13. Briana says:

We are all rooting you on, Paola! Excited to hear what you’ve been working on. All the love and well wishes ❣️

14. Marie says:

Congratulations on such an intense and serious recovery. Looking forward to hearing more about it, you and your insights. I hope the improvement and movement continues and you feel strong and connected. Well done!

15. Dorothy says:

This is the best news!!! So happy you can get around. Every day is the day you get to be better than yesterday. Thank you for all you have done to help me with my journey. Your recipes have gotten me over some bad days, your posts and inspiration have kept me on track and knowing you are feeling better and surrounded by good people is wonderful. Wishing you great success in your next endeavor and again thank you.

16. Tracy says:

Look at you! How liberating, huh?!! So very happy to hear you’re doing beyond “good”. And bring that product on….suspense is killing me Ü

17. Maggie says:

Thanks for sharing. You are indubitably a strong character. I wish you well with your further recovery.
    Thanks also for your recipes. They have been invaluable.

18. Emma W says:

Paola, I am sooo happy for you and appreciate your sharing the journey! It mirrors my current experience very closely (!) … the shockingly exhausting and demoralizing experience of neurological pain and not being able to walk.
    Finally able to walk my dog now too!! Had spine surgery with eventual recovery and healing. A complete re-boot of my life.

Wow, and you still soldiered through with this remarkable website. You are inspirational and I love your work!!!! Thank you! All the best to you.
    With aloha. 😘Emma

19. Anita says:

Big Blessings to you, love your recipes, love yours positive energy. With your life back, make it full of joy and play to the fullest ♥️