Home » Keto » Crazy Dough (For Everything!) 🔥 gluten free, paleo & keto

Crazy Dough (For Everything!) 🔥 gluten free, paleo & keto

Think of this crazy keto dough as your (easy peasy!) master recipe, good for anything from pizza, hot pockets, tortillas, pasta… and much, muuuuch more!

Crazy keto dough used for deep dish pizza
Crazy Keto Dough (For Everything!)

Gluten Free & Keto Dough

Crazy Universal!

The term ‘crazy dough’ is one I encountered in the internet a while back, dubbed for a dough soooo crazy that it could be used endlessly. And no, this is not fathead dough (at all!)… but a rather terrific alternative for those dairy free!

It was first created for our famous tortillas (i.e. the most plagiarized recipe on the site!), but I soon realized it had many (many!) more uses. So with little tweaks here and there, I’ve also turned it into pizza, pasta (and ravioli), cinnamon roll knots, hot pockets, naan (with yeast!), and quite a few more!

The great thing about it?! You can whip up a batch (double or triple even!), and keep it handy in the fridge for 3-4 days to be used for multiple goodies. It also freezes well, just check individual recipes for deets.

And so, in this post I’m giving you some more tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way, with subs included for every ingredient.

Keto carnitas tacos with low carb tortillas
(Instant Pot!) Paleo & Keto Carnitas

The original recipe is a mixture of super fine almond flour (I love Anthony’s) and coconut flour (again Anthony’s best taste and texture by a mile!). Add a touch of xanthan gum, baking powder, and we’re golden.

Keto tortilla chips
Grain Free & Keto Tortilla Chips

The Substitutes

I know you guys need to substitute often (allergies, preferences etc), so this should come in handy:

• Almond flour can be substituted with sunflower seed flour on a 1-to-1 ratio. Given its similar fat and protein content to almond, this really is the best sub out there for those of you with nut allergies! Just note that its generally not ground as fine as almond and it has a different flavor profile, but I know you guys love it as you report back on it often.
  • Coconut flour is a bit of a trickier one to sub as its more unique in its behavior, but still totally doable (as I found out in the naan recipe!). In fact, when yeast is involved, oat fiber had the best texture out of the lot, arguably as it is a grain. Oh, and the neat thing about oat fiber is that it’s virtually carb-less (I’m assuming there’s a trace, but labels read 3g carbs – 3g fiber = 0 net carbs!). Also keep in mind that brands vary a lot here and Lifesource seems to be the best (no weird aftertaste, etc).
  • Xanthan gum is the trickiest of the lot to sub, because of its totally unique ability to act like a binder to replace gluten. Which means that for best results I suggest not trying to sub this one. Having said that, in case of allergies or sensitivity (or if paleo), you can use 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk powder instead. The dough won’t be a as malleable, but results will still be solid.
Unbaked gluten free & keto cinnamon roll knots
(30 Minute!) Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Keto Cinnamon Roll Knots

The Method

Couldn’t get any easier tbh! You simply whisk together the flours (very thoroughly!), add them to your food processor, add in a touch of apple cider vinegar (or any neutral tasting one), add in the egg and a touch of water. The dough will then come together into a ball, which you’ll wrap with plastic wrap and knead for a couple minutes (think sort of like a stress ball!).

No food processor? No worries! You can use your hand or stand mixer or even do it by hand with a little extra elbow grease. I don’t suggest using blenders though, as the dough is quite stiff and it could damage your engine.

Cutting a keto ravioli with a knife and fork
Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Ravioli with Ricotta and Spinach Filling

Keto Dough With Yeast (!!)

I suggest checking out the naan post for full deets. You simply proof the yeast, pulse all the ingredients together in your food processor or in your stand/hand mixer, let the dough rest for thirty, roll it out and cook it up.

In terms of the cooking up, you can do either in the oven or on the stovetop. Both do require that you heat up a skillet (or pizza oven?!) so the naan gets a burst of heat and cooks rapidly.

Oh, and do feel free to play around with the thickness. Though keep in mind that, in my experience, thinner naan cooks best in the stovetop while thicker one in the oven (perhaps a no brainer?!).

Even though this low carb naan does employ the help of yeast (can’t beat the taste guys!), it doesn’t require all the fuss of say the sandwich bread or cinnamon rolls. So as long as you proof your yeast properly (read below), and you let it rest in a nice warm spot to develop the flavors you’ll be golden!

Top tips for proofing yeast: Mix dry active yeast with water that’s just warm to touch (between 105-110°F to be precise) and inulin or an actual sugar (think maple syrup or honey) for 7 minutes until foamy. If you don’t see any activity, your yeast may’ve gone bad or your water temperature was off (so start over!).  And before you scream sugar (!!) remember that the yeast will feed on such sugar to emit carbon dioxide, so it doesn’t affect the carb count. And yes, this is a scientific fact.

Fresh Keto naan with garlic butter and coriander
Gluten Free & Keto Naan (i.e. Flatbread!)

The Uses

A little proof that this dairy free keto dough is truly universal! Click through to get the full deets on each application:

Gluten Free & Keto Dumplings with a ginger pork filling
Gluten Free & Keto Dumplings
Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Hot Pockets
Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Hot Pockets
Fresh Egg Grain Free. Dairy Free & Keto Pasta 🍝 #keto #ketodiet #lowcarb #healthyrecipes

Crazy keto dough used for deep dish pizza

Crazy Keto Dough (For Everything!)

Course: Bread
Cuisine: Mexican
Keyword: dairy free, gluten free, grain free, keto, low carb
Servings: 8

1. Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt to food processor. Pulse until thoroughly combined. Note: you can alternatively whisk everything in a large bowl and use a hand or stand mixer for the following steps.

2. Pour in apple cider vinegar with the food processor running. Once it has distributed evenly, pour in the egg. Followed by the water. Stop the food processor once the dough forms into a ball. The dough will be sticky to touch.

3. Wrap dough in cling film and knead it through the plastic for a minute or two. Think of it a bit like a stress ball. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes (and up to 3-4 days in the fridge).

If cooking on the stove top (tortillas, naan)

1. Heat up a skillet (preferably) or pan over medium heat. You can test the heat by sprinkling a few water droplets, if the drops evaporate immediately your pan is too hot. The droplets should ‘run’ through the skillet.

2. Transfer to skillet and cook over medium heat for just 3-6 seconds (very important). Flip it over immediately (using a thin spatula or knife), and continue to cook until just lightly golden on each side (though with the traditional charred marks), 30 to 40 seconds. The key is not to overcook them, as they will no longer be pliable or puff up.

If baking (pizza, cinnamon rolls)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with a baking mat or parchment paper. If making pizza, you'll want to blind bake the crust without toppings until lightly golden (10-13 minutes). Add the toppings and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

If frying (pasta, ravioli)

1. Heat up butter or oil in a skillet or pan over low heat. Cook pasta until it just begins to get some color, I found this gave the most 'al dente' texture (soft but with a bite). Feel free to make a test with one piece.

The Substitutes

• Xanthan gum is the trickiest of the lot to sub, because of its totally unique ability to act like a binder to replace gluten. Which means that for best results I suggest not trying to sub this one. Having said that, in case of allergies or sensitivity (or if paleo), you can use 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk powder instead. The dough won't be a as malleable, but results will still be solid.
Crazy Keto Dough (For Everything!)
Amount Per Serving
Fat 6g9%
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 51mg2%
Potassium 58mg2%
Carbohydrates 4g1%
Fiber 2g8%
Protein 3g6%
Vitamin A 30IU1%
Calcium 50mg5%
Iron 0.7mg4%

Share the yummy-ness! 📷💨

If you made this recipe (or got a question!), be sure to simply comment below!

And do share your photo with your favorite Facebook group or tag @gnomgnom.yum on Instagram (I love seeing them all!!)

1. Christel says:

Hi

Thank you for all your hard work, your delicious recipes that I get in my inbox and your help for the needy of weight loss.

A friend of mine can not have ACV. What will happen to the do if it hasn’t got ACV or what can it be substituted with?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
    Christel

2. Gordana K says:

This truly is the best dough. I thought fat head dough was the best until I tried this. I use this for everything. I make pigs in a blanket with these, calzones, pizza, hot pockets….Can’t wait to try ravioli and others. Thank you so much! My family loves it!

3. Christina says:

Do you only use the yeast for the Naan? Since I haven’t made this recipe yet and love the taste of yeast in pizza dough, have you found that yeast doesn’t work well in the pizza dough scenario? Just didn’t want to add the yeast for that application only to find that I missed a directive somewhere that it wasn’t good for that! Thanks!

4. Laura says:

Greetings! Happy New Year! We love you and all of your recipes and appreciate all of your hard work. I just want to let you know the recipe will not convert to metric cups, etc. Take care…

5. trezlen says:

Thank you so much for talking us through alternative ingredients. I recently discovered that I am allergic to coconut, which makes Keto and paleo difficult. I look at your recipes and am dreaming of baking again!!!

6. Edson Gilmore says:

HELP! I made this dough the other night but it was so sticky it was very hard to work with and it didn’t want to come off the parchment paper. i put some coconut flour down on the parchment paper but still sticky and trying to fold it over without it coming apart for the empanadas was difficult. No one else has made that comment so I can only assume I did something wrong. I will try making it again, but anyone else have this issue and maybe know why my dough was so sticky? I left it in the fridge overnight before using. thanks Scott

• Arlene Gonzales says:

When I make this dough I make sure I also spray the parchment paper before putting the dough on it….first time I made it it was difficult due to the stickiness…second time around spraying my hands with olive or avocado oil for handling and also parchment paper worked wonders!

7. Kathy Moore says:

We are fairly new to Keto and this is our absolute go to recipe. We make Fajitas, pizza, Quesadillas and crackers to go with soup. I have a bunch of small zip lock bags with the dry ingedients ready to go. I also have some in the freezer.

8. Debra Crossman says:

AWESOME!!
    Since it’s just me, I reduced to 2 servings, used a whole egg & no water.
    After resting, I coated my hands with oil. Patted the dough thin (would do thinner next time) Placed on oiled parchment paper, 400 in the airfryer till 1 side brown, flipped, baked till brown. Topped with sauce & cheese & baked till done.

Wish there was an option to post pics!

9. karen says:

Only four star ’cause of the almond flour substitution. I have frequent;y noted on many Keto blogs that sesame seed flour is a great sub for almond flour – 1:1. No one ever gives feedback! Sesame seeds here in Ecuador ar are less than half the price of almonds. a serious consideration. But, if I am going to make a sweet dough it will be with almonds. Have yet to try sunflower seeds.

• Justin Storm says:

Karen, little feedback for you.

5 stars and a comment would have resulted in just as nice a comment and possibly further dialog from the site owner and creator.

4 stars because isnt to your liking or because you feel your not getting the credit you deserve from your multiple blogs seems rather shallow.

Take it or leave it its 1-5 star feedback depending on how you percieved it, but hey its feedback. If want an example so you know I’m not being a jerk unintentionally. See below.

***** Stars
      Thanks Paola for all of your hard work and effort. You have brought something so simple and needed into our little world.

Although some of us need substitutions the recipe it self was explained very well with multiple substitutions and suggestions. I will leave this comment like I have on other sites who have stolen your idea to make it there own and giving no credit where its due.

(Enter your alternative suggestions that isnt getting the feedback it may or may not deserve here)

Looking forward to more of your Brilliant ideas thanks again.

P.S. if you ever do try my suggestion let me know what you think and I’ll post my personal results with it as well.

• Christina says:

I haven’t even tried this recipe yet, but have tried enough to look at it and realize that it sounds like it has the best of the best ideas and I love the alternate suggestions as many of the other bloggers tend to be so legalistic and won’t even try any substitutions, so thank you very much for the suggestions Paola and I can’t wait to try this recipe! Justin also gets 5 stars for saying what I was thinking…lol! A little side note for Karen, I lived in a foreign country for seven years and had to learn to either pay for or do without a bunch of things. One of the reasons you probably haven’t gotten any feedback about your Sesame flour is that in other countries it isn’t easy to find and sesame seeds are expensive so the flour probably is as well. Good news that it works for you. 🙂

10. Natasha says:

I just made this dough and made a pizza for lunch. It was SO simple and SO AMAZING!!! Very delicious. THANK YOU so so so much for this recipe! We absolutely love it! Next time I make it I will probably double the ingredients and make some nomnom garlic bread <3

11. Chelsea sexton says:

Could I use yeast and oar fibre I stead of coconut for
    Cinnamon rolls as fathead dough always still taste cheesey and dense.

12. Alison says:

I just wanted to say that I’ve made this dough (as your deep dish pizza recipe) 3 times this month and each time it gets better! I can’t stomach the fathead dough so was really excited to try this out and I’m so glad I did! Even my non-keto pizza loving family loved it (hence why I’ve had to make it so much!) So thank you for this dough recipe, I cannot WAIT to try making other things with it!

And I know it’s been mentioned before…but I’ve had great success using a flax egg in place of the normal egg. I tried it with an egg first, and the next day made it with a flax egg and we had them side by side and (at least to me) the texture and taste was the same! Here’s hoping using it for things other than pizza has great results too:) Thank you again!

13. Logan P says:

I might be missing it (I apologize if I am) but I don’t see the serving size for the nutritional information? I see 2g of net carbs, is that for the whole “batch” of the dough? If so, I’m SO excited to try this! lol. I have been searching and searching for some sort of keto dough recipe and with all these rave reviews, I think I may have found it, just curious about the serving size. I’ve tried the fat head dough…it’s OK, but has a weird after taste to me. Thanks in advance for the reply!

• Debra Crossman says:

At the top of the recipe, says 8 servings. You can change it to any number of servings and it will adjust the amounts for each ingredient.

14. MH says:

Is this crust supposed to be soft? I made it as a base for pizza and it was more like a cracker— but I think I might have forgotten the baking powder!? Anyway, just checking to see what to expect for next time. Thank you! Your recipes all look great!

• I’ve noticed that this dough depends a lot on the thickness and the temperature you cook it on (say the tortillas, that are thin and cooked super fast over very high heat end up soft and pliable!) xo!

15. Josephine says:

I’ve been finding your site for about 6 months now in different searches and have never made anything … mostly ’cause I’m lazy. But I have to say that today, at 11:35am I started with this dough, then thought, “Why don’t I whip up those marshmallows that I saw since I have the mixer out…?” Then while the marshmallows were whipping, I made the chia berry jam. In less than an hour I have a batch of dough, a batch of marshmallows setting (hopefully!) on the counter, jam jelling, and I’m completely cleaned up. Totally inspirational. Thanks for making simple healthy recipes.

16. ryan ormiston says:

Hey Just curious if hemp flour could be a viable alternative for either the coconut or almond flour as it contains little too no net carbs?