These gluten free and keto chorizo and cheesy tacos (i.e. Mexican choriqueso!) are an absolute delight and easy-peasy to whip up!
Keto Chorizo-Cheese Tacos! 🌮
i.e. Mexican Choriqueso
Choriqueso is a spanish compound word of chorizo and queso, fully descriptive of the two ingredients in this stellar Mexican entree: chorizo and cheese.
You see, choriqueso is most frequently found as an entree in taquerias. Served up sizzling hot as a sort if dip, along a batch of flour tortillas. Para abrir boca we say in Mexico, which simply means: to open up your appetite. Yes indeed!
A truly ideal and easy entree when entertaining (think Game Day!). Serve it up with a batch of our suuuper pliable batch of grain free keto tortillas (with just 2g net carbs 💁🏿) and you’re golden.
The Cheese 🧀
Traditional choriqueso in Mexico is whipped up with queso tipo Oaxaca, otherwise known as string cheese. But you can also use anything from mozzarella to Monterrey jack.
But in all seriousness, just choose your favorite cheese. As though flavors will vary, you really can’t go wrong with chorizo and cheese. So as long as it melts, you’ll be golden.
The Salsa 🌶️
You need a salsa, trust us. Our favorite here is a simple pico de gallo salsa. Think fresh and crunchy tomatoes and onion, contrasting beautifully with all the cheesiness.
Keto Chorizo Cheesy Tacos i.e. Mexican Choriqueso!
- 1 batch 15-minute keto & grain free tortillas 8 tortillas
- 250-400 g chorizo to taste
- 50-100 g string cheese or mozzarella (or melty cheese of choice)
- 1 batch pico de gallo salsa
- Make a batch of our grain free keto tortillas and turn on your oven to broil.
- While the dough of the tortillas is resting: peel, dice and cook the chorizo in a pan over medium heat.
- Separate the string cheese into strands (or use grated cheese of choice), and mix in an oven-proof dish with the cooked chorizo. Place in the oven to broil, while you cook the tortillas on the stove top (anywhere from 5-20 minutes depending on the oomph of your oven!).
- Serve right away (i.e. sizzling hot), with the freshly-made tortillas and your salsa of choice.