Pico de Gallo Salsa ?
A Mexican Special
Pico de gallo is primarily served in Mexico to top molletes (bread + beans + melted cheese goodness). Molletes are in essence the grilled cheese of Mexico, and pico de gallo is pretty much their soul. i.e. it’s indispensable.
But I’m not making molletes, you may be thinking.
Well, then you can use it for tacos, in loaded sweet potatoes (with a drizzle of yogurt!), as a topping to Mexican rice (and with cauliflower rice), to spice up eggs, for quesadillas, as an ideal pair to refried beans…
So you’ve got options.
Just one rule: be sure to mix the ingredients right before serving (specially adding the salt). This will ensure the tomatoes are nice and plumb, rather than mushy and soupy.
Oh, and if cilantro ain’t your thing: just use parsley. Or even mint, for a nice and fresh pan-fried fish.
It’s one multi-purpose chica. ??
Ultra Mexican Pico de Gallo Salsa ?
- 4 plum tomatoes diced
- 1/4 medium onion very finely chopped
- 1/2-1 jalapeño chili seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro finely chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mix together tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.