This paleo, whole30 and keto marinara sauce is made in a jiffy for an incomparable result! 🍝
Paleo, Whole30 & Keto Marinara Sauce 🍅
The Traditional Italian Way 🇮🇹
This absolutely killer (and traditional!) Italian marinara sauce is naturally keto, paleo and whole30. i.e. you know it’ll be good! Plus, all you need are staple pantry items: good tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and some seasoning.
Oh, and 5 mins of your active time plus a 15 minute simmer. 💨
The Tomatoes 🍅
If you splurge on one thing for this marinara sauce, the tomatoes ought to be it. They’re the star of the sauce (duh!), so you do want to go all out here.
Think a can of good quality San Marzano-type tomatoes for the ultimate flavor oomph. But in the end, any type of whole peeled tomatoes will work. Though keep in mind that even if splurging on the tomatoes, making your own keto marinara sauce is much less expensive than the ‘approved’ store-bought versions. And way, waaaay better!
Oh, and fresh garlic is an absolute must here. No powder please!
So whether you use it up to elevate a simple bowl of zoodles, or give it a go in our (gluten free & keto!) deep-dish pizza, you’re in for a real Italian treat. 🍕
Paleo, Whole30 & Keto Marinara Sauce
- Pour tomatoes out of the can and crush with your hands. Add water to the can, using it to get all the tomato goodness out of it. Set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot add in garlic and cook for a minute or so, not allowing it to brown.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and reserved water, along with salt, red pepper flakes and oregano. Place the basil spring whole in the center of the sauce, allowing it to submerge as it cooks. If no fresh basil is at hand, use dried.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until thickened and the oil on the surface is a deep yellow color.
- Discard basil, mix thoroughly and use as needed.