Gluten Free & Keto Mexican Flautas 🌮
i.e. Tacos Dorados
Flautas are a staple of comida corrida (i.e. daily cooking) over in Mexico. And it really is no wonder, as they’re totally addictive. And so, these gluten free and keto Mexican flautas are the answer to your taco dorado cravings.
Traditionally, white corn tortillas are tightly wrapped around shredded chicken, beef (either ground or shredded), or mashed potatoes. Followed by a brief shallow-frying until golden ‘n crispy.
To make them keto we took a different route with our grain-free tortilla dough. And given that corn’s out of the question, the results are slightly different taste-wise. But totally delicious, promise.
The Deets 🔍
We found that the best route to take for these keto Mexican flautas is to wrap them up with the uncooked tortillas, brush them with olive oil and bake them until nice and golden. You save a bunch of steps here.
Otherwise you can cook the tortillas, add the filling, do a light fry, and then pop them in the oven to crisp up. But we found that they brown way too much in the process.
Delicious either way though.
The Flours 🔍
No substituting flours here and the xanthan gum is absolutely necessary. And, if possible, weigh your ingredients for consistent results.
The Filling 🐄🐓
You can make flautas traditionally with pretty much any shredded chicken, beef (shredded or ground), or mashed potatoes (unfortunately not keto).
And we absolutely looove to make them with our slow-cooker pulled skirt steak. Crazy tender and insanely tasty, it really is an unbeatable combo.
Ah, and make sure you don’t forget the avocado salsa verde. A taco specialty.
Gluten Free & Keto Mexican Flautas
Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Customary at the bottom of the ingredients for an instant conversion.
For the keto tortillas:
- 1 batch our grain free keto tortillas
For the Mexican flautas:
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked ground beef or filling of choice, to taste
- salsa verde
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- queso cotija or crumbled feta cheese
- onion rings
- iceberg lettuce ribboned
For the keto Mexican flautas:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Break the dough into eight 1” balls (26g a piece). Roll out between two sheets of parchment paper with a rolling pin or using a tortilla press until 5-inches in diameter (much easier). If fuzzy about presentation, trim edges if needed. Use the dough ASAP, so it remains sticky and you can close the pockets easily (it dries out after 10-15 minutes at room temp and you would have to re-roll it).
- Assemble tacos by placing about 3-4 tablespoons of filling of choice at the center of each tortilla, and wrap the edges tightly around it. The raw dough will be sticky, so it should hold it's shape without trouble.
- Place flautas in prepared tray, brush with olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden all over.
- These guys are best served warm and straight from the oven, but they also do re-warm quite well.