Home » Keto » Crazy Dough (For Everything!) 🔥 gluten free, paleo & keto

Crazy Dough (For Everything!) 🔥 gluten free, paleo & keto

Think of this crazy keto dough as your (easy peasy!) master recipe, good for anything from pizza, hot pockets, tortillas, pasta… and much, muuuuch more!

Crazy keto dough used for deep dish pizza
Crazy Keto Dough (For Everything!)

Gluten Free & Keto Dough

Crazy Universal!

The term ‘crazy dough’ is one I encountered in the internet a while back, dubbed for a dough soooo crazy that it could be used endlessly. And no, this is not fathead dough (at all!)… but a rather terrific alternative for those dairy free!

It was first created for our famous tortillas (i.e. the most plagiarized recipe on the site!), but I soon realized it had many (many!) more uses. So with little tweaks here and there, I’ve also turned it into pizza, pasta (and ravioli), cinnamon roll knots, hot pockets, naan (with yeast!), and quite a few more!

The great thing about it?! You can whip up a batch (double or triple even!), and keep it handy in the fridge for 3-4 days to be used for multiple goodies. It also freezes well, just check individual recipes for deets.

And so, in this post I’m giving you some more tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way, with subs included for every ingredient.

Keto carnitas tacos with low carb tortillas
(Instant Pot!) Paleo & Keto Carnitas

The original recipe is a mixture of super fine almond flour (I love Anthony’s) and coconut flour (again Anthony’s best taste and texture by a mile!). Add a touch of xanthan gum, baking powder, and we’re golden.

Keto tortilla chips
Grain Free & Keto Tortilla Chips

The Substitutes

I know you guys need to substitute often (allergies, preferences etc), so this should come in handy:

• Almond flour can be substituted with sunflower seed flour on a 1-to-1 ratio. Given its similar fat and protein content to almond, this really is the best sub out there for those of you with nut allergies! Just note that its generally not ground as fine as almond and it has a different flavor profile, but I know you guys love it as you report back on it often.
  • Coconut flour is a bit of a trickier one to sub as its more unique in its behavior, but still totally doable (as I found out in the naan recipe!). In fact, when yeast is involved, oat fiber had the best texture out of the lot, arguably as it is a grain. Oh, and the neat thing about oat fiber is that it’s virtually carb-less (I’m assuming there’s a trace, but labels read 3g carbs – 3g fiber = 0 net carbs!). Also keep in mind that brands vary a lot here and Lifesource seems to be the best (no weird aftertaste, etc).
  • Xanthan gum is the trickiest of the lot to sub, because of its totally unique ability to act like a binder to replace gluten. Which means that for best results I suggest not trying to sub this one. Having said that, in case of allergies or sensitivity (or if paleo), you can use 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk powder instead. The dough won’t be a as malleable, but results will still be solid.
Unbaked gluten free & keto cinnamon roll knots
(30 Minute!) Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Keto Cinnamon Roll Knots

The Method

Couldn’t get any easier tbh! You simply whisk together the flours (very thoroughly!), add them to your food processor, add in a touch of apple cider vinegar (or any neutral tasting one), add in the egg and a touch of water. The dough will then come together into a ball, which you’ll wrap with plastic wrap and knead for a couple minutes (think sort of like a stress ball!).

No food processor? No worries! You can use your hand or stand mixer or even do it by hand with a little extra elbow grease. I don’t suggest using blenders though, as the dough is quite stiff and it could damage your engine.

Cutting a keto ravioli with a knife and fork
Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Ravioli with Ricotta and Spinach Filling

Keto Dough With Yeast (!!)

I suggest checking out the naan post for full deets. You simply proof the yeast, pulse all the ingredients together in your food processor or in your stand/hand mixer, let the dough rest for thirty, roll it out and cook it up.

In terms of the cooking up, you can do either in the oven or on the stovetop. Both do require that you heat up a skillet (or pizza oven?!) so the naan gets a burst of heat and cooks rapidly.

Oh, and do feel free to play around with the thickness. Though keep in mind that, in my experience, thinner naan cooks best in the stovetop while thicker one in the oven (perhaps a no brainer?!).

Even though this low carb naan does employ the help of yeast (can’t beat the taste guys!), it doesn’t require all the fuss of say the sandwich bread or cinnamon rolls. So as long as you proof your yeast properly (read below), and you let it rest in a nice warm spot to develop the flavors you’ll be golden!

Top tips for proofing yeast: Mix dry active yeast with water that’s just warm to touch (between 105-110°F to be precise) and inulin or an actual sugar (think maple syrup or honey) for 7 minutes until foamy. If you don’t see any activity, your yeast may’ve gone bad or your water temperature was off (so start over!).  And before you scream sugar (!!) remember that the yeast will feed on such sugar to emit carbon dioxide, so it doesn’t affect the carb count. And yes, this is a scientific fact.

Fresh Keto naan with garlic butter and coriander
Gluten Free & Keto Naan (i.e. Flatbread!)

The Uses

A little proof that this dairy free keto dough is truly universal! Click through to get the full deets on each application:

Gluten Free & Keto Dumplings with a ginger pork filling
Gluten Free & Keto Dumplings
Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Hot Pockets
Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Hot Pockets
Fresh Egg Grain Free. Dairy Free & Keto Pasta 🍝 #keto #ketodiet #lowcarb #healthyrecipes

Crazy keto dough used for deep dish pizza

Crazy Keto Dough (For Everything!)

Course: Bread
Cuisine: Mexican
Keyword: dairy free, gluten free, grain free, keto, low carb
Servings: 8

1. Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt to food processor. Pulse until thoroughly combined. Note: you can alternatively whisk everything in a large bowl and use a hand or stand mixer for the following steps.

2. Pour in apple cider vinegar with the food processor running. Once it has distributed evenly, pour in the egg. Followed by the water. Stop the food processor once the dough forms into a ball. The dough will be sticky to touch.

3. Wrap dough in cling film and knead it through the plastic for a minute or two. Think of it a bit like a stress ball. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes (and up to 3-4 days in the fridge).

If cooking on the stove top (tortillas, naan)

1. Heat up a skillet (preferably) or pan over medium heat. You can test the heat by sprinkling a few water droplets, if the drops evaporate immediately your pan is too hot. The droplets should ‘run’ through the skillet.

2. Transfer to skillet and cook over medium heat for just 3-6 seconds (very important). Flip it over immediately (using a thin spatula or knife), and continue to cook until just lightly golden on each side (though with the traditional charred marks), 30 to 40 seconds. The key is not to overcook them, as they will no longer be pliable or puff up.

If baking (pizza, cinnamon rolls)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with a baking mat or parchment paper. If making pizza, you'll want to blind bake the crust without toppings until lightly golden (10-13 minutes). Add the toppings and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

If frying (pasta, ravioli)

1. Heat up butter or oil in a skillet or pan over low heat. Cook pasta until it just begins to get some color, I found this gave the most 'al dente' texture (soft but with a bite). Feel free to make a test with one piece.

The Substitutes

• Xanthan gum is the trickiest of the lot to sub, because of its totally unique ability to act like a binder to replace gluten. Which means that for best results I suggest not trying to sub this one. Having said that, in case of allergies or sensitivity (or if paleo), you can use 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk powder instead. The dough won't be a as malleable, but results will still be solid.
Crazy Keto Dough (For Everything!)
Amount Per Serving
Fat 6g9%
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 51mg2%
Potassium 58mg2%
Carbohydrates 4g1%
Fiber 2g8%
Protein 3g6%
Vitamin A 30IU1%
Calcium 50mg5%
Iron 0.7mg4%

Share the yummy-ness! 📷💨

If you made this recipe (or got a question!), be sure to simply comment below!

And do share your photo with your favorite Facebook group or tag @gnomgnom.yum on Instagram (I love seeing them all!!)

1. Mauri says:

Can’t wait to try this just wondering if I can make a double or triple batch and freeze it for future use. Thanks for you help

2. Kelly says:

Hi, can I use a flax or chia seeds egg substitute for this recipe? & are there any other healthy egg substitutes I could use?, You have a great & safe day!.

3. Sherina says:

This recipe is amazing! From the 8 balls of dough, I was able to make mini pizzas, cinnamon knots, and tortilla chips to enjoy over a course of 4 days! This is a definite win for me! I even added cinnamon to a batch of the tortilla chips and ate it with your amazing No-Churn Paleo & Keto Coffee Ice Cream! So good and perfect for the sole Keto eater in the house!

4. Jaclyn says:

This is the best low carb pizza dough I’ve had so far. I pressed the dough into a 12 inch cast iron pan and it came out great!

5. Penny says:

Hi Gang, just tried this for the first time.. Incredibly easy! dump it on the processor, and about 3 min later into plastic. I didn’t bother letting it sit but did dust my hands with a little almond flour to shape then onto the pan. AMAZING! I’ve been doing Keto for a couple of years and my weight loss has stalled… I cut more calories but that didnt help… I’m on a program for a bit that, in a nut shell… has you slowly up calories by 50 or 100 a day while monitoring weight carefully to see how many calories you can eat and not gain… SO, I am still basically Keto but needed more calories. I don’t eat gluten or carby or sweet foods we keto-ites avoid and still up calories I wanted to find a bread… THIS tastes great, adds calories and almost no carbs. I’m jazzed… I’ll give my body a little time to get used to eating ore and not gaining then hit Keto to take off the last 20…This is going to be a huge help! Thanks!!

6. Xan says:

I’ve tried tons of keto doughs and this is the ONLY one I will now use for flatbreads, or stuffed treats like pierogies, potstickers and “hot pockets”. When baked, it gets slightly flaky, with a nice chew. When pan-fried, it crisps up perfect, and stays tender on the inside. For flatbreads, I griddled rounds, then topped and baked. I have teenaged sons who are struggling to stay keto/gluten free (but need to, for health), and this is an absolute game-changer!

7. Cynthia Gavigan says:

I make 4 batches at a time and keep in fridge. I’ve learned what it should look and feel like and use my cookie scoop to make perfect tortillas

8. Marvie says:

Is the oat fiber/coconut flour a 1:1sub? I would like to use oat fiber since I don’t like the taste of coconut.

• Nurz Betty says:

Following for the response regarding using oat fiber! I’ve usual the regular recipe, but curious to know :^).

9. SG says:

I never really leave comments but had to for this, you’ve done amazing on this recipe! I managed to make Jamaican saltfish dumplings out of this formula and I was over the moon. They were pretty fragile when putting them together, but with a bit of TLC the end result was amazing.

10. Rebecca says:

So, I just found a way to get almond flour down to the texture of wheat flour. I simmered finely ground almond flour on the stove for a bit, drained and rinsed it, and then cooked all the moisture off on the stovetop. When I ground it in my Ninja blender it came out suuuper fine! I was just curious if you have tried this? I haven’t actually used it in recipes yet!

• Victoria says:

Wow, I am impressed at how you came up with that process! I wonder though…by simmering the almond meal and then draining off the water, wouldn’t you have also drained off some almond fat, thereby changing the fat carb ratio? I imagine the resulting flour would be comparatively higher in carbs. However, since the original proportion of carbs is quite low, it may still be ok to think of it as low carb. Don’t know, just wondering….

• Ash says:

woah… that seems time consuming, if i can give you a shortcut, blend for about 3-5 minutes in your food processor. done and done.

11. Belly Zee says:

Is the coconut flour able to be substituted for something else, my family and I are all allergic to coconut. I would love to make this recipe. Thanks so much!

12. Nep says:

Hi Paola! Tried this dough once and it was fantastic! Made really great hot pockets that had quite a fair bit of similarity to real dough. Tried making a batch for 16 today but the dough wouldn’t form a ball in my food processor. Any reason for this? Thanks for the great recipe!

13. Mike says:

I know this site caters to the gluten free demographic, but can you sub vital wheat gluten for xanthan gum in this recipe? If so, know how much is needed?

14. wendy says:

How important is it to include the vinegar? Regardless of whether you can taste it, my husband won’t even try anything with a drop of vinegar in it. If it’s necessary, is there a substitute?

• Kitty says:

Not the original author, here, but vinegar is used in conjunction with baking powder or baking soda to activate and stabilize the leavening action. Any acid will do, lemon juice, citric acid, or cream of tartar are common substitutes. These might lend a brighter, less savory edge to the flavour profile, but they will serve the same job in the chemical reaction. However, in these situations, I usually just neglect to tell the unreasonably picky person what ingredients are in their food. ^.^

• Jen says:

Thanks.
        I gag at the smell of any vinegar even if I don’t know it’s been cooked into a recipe. I will try with lemon juice.

• Sher says:

My husband HATES Vinegar. He knew it went in 🙂 First time making this and he loved it. Just asked him and he could not taste it at all. Hope this helps. Our new go to Pizza crust.

• Sue says:

What is it with men and vinegar? I don’t discuss my recipes unless asked and even then, I am under no obligation to remember all the ingredients. 😉

15. wendy says:

How important is the vinegar in this recipe? My husband absolutely refuses to eat anything he knows has vinegar in it (even if only a drop)!

16. Val says:

Hello,

Please, what is the coconut flour to Oat fiber substitute ratio?

Does this substitution work for all crazy dough recipes?

• VlpWaters says:

I’ve substituted oat fiber for the coconut flour equally in this recipe and it turned out great. Oat fiber is thirsty like coconut flour so it works out great and I use it as a sub a lot to save some calories!

17. Kat says:

Just wondering if anyone has tried making “spaghetti” noodles using this dough? I was thinking about rolling it out really thin, then slicing into long strips, then frying in a little butter, any comments our suggestions?

I love this website, it is the best for keto/gluten free, etc… Paola, thank you for such wonderful healthy and delicious recipes.