With this one simple trick, you’ll end up with a keto hot chocolate that’s truly thick and creamy… and at just 2g net carbs!
Paleo & Keto Hot Chocolate
That’s truly thick & creamy!
With the imminent drop in temperature comes an instant penchant for hot chocolate. So here’s my absolute favorite (speedy!) cure: a truly luscious keto hot chocolate!
Thick, creamy and absolutely delicious.
The trick?! Using a little thickener, in the form of either konjac (my favorite!), arrowroot, Xanthan gum… or even chia seeds!
So forget that watery thin hot chocolate that comes from just siring in cocoa powder and some form of milk. 😉
Cacao vs Cocoa
Both are well and good, as long as they’re unsweetened!
As many of you know, chia seeds are usually my staple thickener when it comes to hot chocolate. But I also know that a few of you find the task of grinding them fine enough to be a bit tedious… so I came up with a couple alternatives!
Just do note that chia seeds are awesome, as these tiny Mexican guys pack a whole lot of protein and add a whole lot of crunch. Chia seeds contain large amounts of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, plenty of high quality protein, and several essential minerals and antioxidants.
But you do have a few other options! Think the wonderful konjac root powder (my favorite Keto thickener!). It’s zero carbs and does an awesome job at thickening sauces, stews… and hot chocolate as it turns out! It’s powerful stuff though, so start at only 1/8th teaspoon and go from there.
Pick your poison! Allulose is my favorite for no aftertaste now (you do need to add 30% more though), Lakanto Golden (barely any cooling aftertaste here), xylitol (non-corn though to avoid tummy troubles!).
Fun fact: it might also be my taste buds here, but I’ve noticed that stevia-based sweeteners (such as Pyure) don’t work so great in hot situations (particularly if chocolate is involved).
And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys! 🐕
Oh! And if feeling a little extra, our keto marshmallows come highly suggested!
(Actually Thick ‘N Creamy!) Keto Hot Chocolate
For the bulletproof hot chocolate
- our keto marshmallows
- whipped cream optional (but highly suggested)
When thickening with konjac, arrowroot or xanthan gukm
- Add milk of choice, cocoa powder, sweetener and salt to a small saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Taste for sweetness and adjust to taste.
- Make a slurry with a little konjac root powder (it's powerful stuff guys!), arrowroot or xanthan gum and a tablespoon or two of water; make sure it's completely dissolved to avoid lumps. Whisk it into the hot chocolate and cook until thickened. Feel free to adjust the quantity to yield your preferred thickness.
When thickening with chia seeds
- Check out the video for deets!
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. It will likely take a couple runs to grind all the chia seeds fully. Feel free to adjust the cocoa powder to suit your taste buds, and the chia seeds for desired thickness (and fiber!).
- Heat up and serve with (plenty!) whipped cream.
- NOTE: If using a NutriBullet or similar device, keep in mind that you should not put scalding hot water in it. If need be, reheat (safety comes first!).