Missing potatoes dearly?! These keto loaded radishes do an *unbelievable* job at impersonating this beloved veggie, but at a fraction of the carbs!
Low Carb & Keto Loaded Radishes
Seriously guys, these loaded radishes (i.e. ‘potatoes’!) are the dream. The absolute dream. So if you’re into roasted radishes, or simply missing potatoes dearly, you absolutely must give these guys a chance.
Fact is, roasted radishes (in many shapes and forms), have become my favorite side. And the 2g net carb count totally helps.
During trials (and there were many), I figured out that the best way to cook them was to thinly slice them, and roast them nice and slow for an hour or so to get some crisp on the guys. Then I buttered them up, piled them up, topped them with cheddar, and got them back in the oven for a few.
I mean, heaven. For real.
Just note that radishes do not work the same as potatoes (duh?). As in, you cannot simply buy a large radish, roast it whole and expect a potato-like texture. Fact is (and I learned this the hard way), large radishes roasted that way simply end up all watery inside.
So trust me, and slice them up prior to roasting to give them some texture and get most of their water weight out.
And ‘can a radish really impersonate a potato?’. I mean, raw radishes are anything but potato-y: spicy, bitter, and totally juicy. But when roasted, something magical happens, and the result is actually rather extraordinary.
Fact is, keto roasted radishes are pretty phenomenal. And I know many of you feel the same way, as you have loved my parmesan roasted radishes so (so!) much.
Still, keep in mind that radishes are still radishes, and a slight trace will linger. But after a nice and (very!) long roast, they really are the closest thing to potatoes we’ve encountered.
So I cannot recommend enough that you give these roasted radishes a shot. Best case scenario you will be one of the lucky peeps to whom radishes totally taste like potatoes.
And worst case? You’ll never whip them up again… and you can even say you once tried to turn a radish unto a potato #Keto4Life
(But I love them. Repeat, absolutely looove them!)
And perhaps one of the most lovable things about radishes is their carb count. We’re talking 1.8g net carbs per 100g serving…! That equates roughly to 0.1g net carbs per medium 1-inch radish. Nuts right?
Keto Loaded Radishes (i.e. 'Potatoes'!)
- 2 bunches medium radishes about 20 trimmed and thinly sliced (or slice up a Daikon radish!)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground to taste
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese freshly grated, to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream to taste
- 4-6 bacon slices crispy and crumbled
- chives or spring onions thinly sliced, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Brush a baking dish or rimmed tray with olive oil.*
- Add radishes to prepared baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Roast for 45-60 minutes, until golden and lightly crisp, tossing them about half way through.
- Now you can either just add some butter and top them with cheddar cheese right there. Or pile them up in a ramekin with a touch of butter between the layers (our preferred way!).
- Set your oven to broil, and cook your cheddar-topped radishes until the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve right away topped with sour cream, crumbled crispy bacon and chives or bring onions.