Home » breakfast » Light ‘N Fluffy Waffles 🥞 gluten free, dairy free & keto

Light ‘N Fluffy Waffles 🥞 gluten free, dairy free & keto

These grain free and keto waffles are truly light and extra fluffy! Ideal for a keto breakfast treat, at just 1g net carb!

Dairy Free & Keto Waffles with sugar free syrup
Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Keto Waffles

Grain Free & Keto Waffles 🥞

Light ‘N Fluffy

These are not your regular keto waffles, i.e. dense and crumbly. Think rather pure pillowy-soft delight! Plus, think of them as breakfast meal prepping supreme, ready for a quick reheat in your toaster!

Be sure to serve them up with grass-fed butter and sugar free syrup (love Lakanto’s!). Or do a strawberries ‘n cream sorta thing. Alternatively, make a fat bomb spread out of our buttercream frosting! Or how about a generous caramel drizzle?!

Looking for more non-egg low carb and keto breakfast ideas? Check out our cinnamon toast crunch, chia pudding and our ‘top secret’ granola!

The Method

The batter for these keto waffles is essentially a choux pastry (used to make anything from eclairs to gougeres to our keto donuts and churros). But this is just a fancy way of saying that you first boil together water with sugar, butter (or coconut oil) and salt. Adding in the flour and cooking it until it forms into a ball. And step three, mixing in the eggs off the stove. We also add a bit of baking powder at the end for extra rise.

Now when you mix in the eggs the dough will be very stiff, and given that we’re also adding in baking powder, the job is best done with a hand-mixer here. The final dough should be very elastic (courtesy of the eggs and xanthan gum).

Grain Free, Gluten Free & Keto Churros ☁️ Easy-peasy and 1g net carbs each! #ketodesserts #lowcarbdesserts #ketomexican
Grain Free, Gluten Free & Keto Churros ☁ Easy-peasy and 1g net carbs each! #ketodesserts #lowcarbdesserts #ketomexican
Gluten Free, Grain Free & Keto Waffles 🥞 Just 1g net carbs per waffle! #keto #ketodiet #ketobreakfast #lowcarb #healthyrecipes

The Flours 🔍

I like a mixture of super fine almond flour and coconut flour best. Add a touch of psyllium husk and xanthan gum, and we’re golden.

And don’t skip the psyllium husk. It helps retain moisture, create structure (i.e. it’s highly responsible for the killer crumb). And it just so happens to be a killer source of fiber.

Borrowed from molecular cooking, xanthan gum is the binding agent which makes your toothpaste jelly-like (and your cream cheese, well cream cheese-like). And it’s also the most common gluten-replacer in gluten free baking. And there’s absolutely no skipping it here!

In all honesty, no substituting anything here. You really do need the full combo of grain free flours to get the choux just right.

In terms of brands, for the almond either Anthony’s or WellBees work great. Both are super fine grinds. And for the coconut, we always favor Anthony’s.

The Sweetener

This choux pastry to make the waffles is very lightly sweetened (and fairly bland solo), think just a couple tablespoons. Ready to accommodate your topping of choice. But you’ve got good options here.  Lakanto Goldenxylitol (non-corn though to avoid tummy troubles!) and allulose (add 30% more) are my top choices (no aftertaste at all!).

And if just grain free, coconut sugar is your best bet here. And of course, raw sugar works great too.

Looking for a maple syrup alternative? While there are a myriad of sugar free syrups in the market today, we love Lakanto’s! (an erythritol and monk fruit blend).

And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup (or pet!) around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys! 🐕

Eating Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Keto Waffles
Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Keto Waffles

The Waffle Recipe Video

Light 'N Fluffy Gluten Free & Keto Waffles

Course: Breakfast
Cuisine: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Ketogenic
Servings: 8 waffles

These grain free and keto waffles are light and airy, and extra fluffy. Ideal for a keto breakfast treat, at just 1g net carb!

Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Cups for an instant conversion.

For the keto waffles

Serving suggestions

• sugar free syrup or maple syrup if paleo
  • grass-fed butter
  • berries
  • whipped cream

Special equipment

1. See recipe video for guidance!

2. Whisk together in a medium bowl almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium husk and xanthan gum. Set aside.

3. Heat up water, butter, sweetener and salt in medium pot (or Dutch oven) until it just begins to simmer. Lower heat to low and add in flour mixture, mixing constantly to incorporate. Continue to cook and stir until the dough pulls away from the pan and forms into a ball, 1-3 minutes.

4. Transfer dough back to the bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes. The dough should still be warm, but not hot enough to scramble the eggs.

5. Add in one egg at a time, mixing with an electric mixer until fully incorporated. Mix in vanilla extract and baking powder. The final dough should be very elastic.

6. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes and heat up waffle iron on high in the meantime.

7. Grease waffle iron well and spoon in the batter. It will be thick, so spread it out using a wet spatula (or wet the back of a spoon). Close waffle iron and cook for 8-12 minutes on high until fully golden and cooked through.

8. To crisp up the waffles further (this largely depends on your waffle iron), you'll need to toast the pieces on low in your toaster or in a skillet over low heat. This will draw out the moisture from the coconut flour and give you nice and crisp edges.

9. The waffles can be stored in an airtight container at room temp for 3 days. And the dough can be kept in the fridge for a day or two.

*Or 1 1/2 tablespoon Pyure. Please see section on Sweeteners for more deets and possible substitution.

**We don't find these keto waffles to be eggy (at all!). But this also largely depends on the coconut flour you use (different brands absorb moisture differently), and cooking the dough until nice and stiff. We use regular-sized large eggs here, but keep in mind that you can always do 2 eggs rather than 3 (they'll be more dense though).

Please note that nutrition facts were estimated per waffle, assuming the recipe yields 8 regular square waffles (depending how much you spread it, you can get anywhere from 8-10). If making Belgian waffles (round, as pictured), we found a batch to yield three.

Light 'N Fluffy Gluten Free & Keto Waffles
Protein 4g8%
Vitamin A 265IU5%
Calcium 31mg3%
Iron 0.7mg4%

What’s Trending! 🏆

Share the yummy-ness! 📷💨

If you made this recipe (or got a question!), be sure to simply comment below!

And do share your photo with your favorite Facebook group or tag @gnomgnom.yum on Instagram (I love seeing them all!!)

More Breakfast Goodies 🍳

1. Gina says:

These are amazing! 4 kids ate them and did not have a clue they were keto! Including my EXTREMELY picky eater! These are definitely going to be a staple in our house!

2. Arlene Travnik says:

These waffles were just AMAZING!! The best in 8 years of low carb cooking. Thank you!!
    But where is the link to the video?

• Paola van der Hulst says:

Wonderful to hear Arlene!! Regarding the video, any chance you’re running an ad blocker? I placed it right above the recipe card xo!

3. GiGi says:

Vraiment délicieuses les gaufres! avec vos excellentes recettes, jusqu’à présent, je n’ai trouvé aucun site keto français qui ne soit mieux que le votre! félicitation!

4. Kristy says:

I have eaten so many LC waffle recipes over the past 5 years and all have disappointed…EXCEPT THIS ONE! Even my 4 and 6 year old asked for seconds! They had no clue these were LC waffles! There is no gritty texture, the consistency is smooth and pillowy, just like a good homemade waffle should be. I doubled the recipe. I have a cusinart double sided flip Belgium waffle iron and the double batter made 6 waffles. Thrilled with this recipe, thank you very, very much!

5. Freek says:

These were the first thing I tried when I discovered your website! I absolutely devoured them 😀 They were not as crispy and not airy, but maybe I don’t have the best waffle maker. They were very soft and delicious though, I could eat these everyday. Do you have a cookie recipe that uses the same choux dough? It smelled fantastic right after cooking and before adding the eggs 🙂

6. Kelly H. says:

I’ve got a 3 yr old who is all about pancakes, so I made these as tiny pancakes. about 3 in across. they were incredible! they puffed up like crazy, and everyone loved them! there are many keto pancake recipes out there, and they’re all so fragile. these weren’t at all! I found the trick to making them as pancakes was to cook them low and slow. takes forever, but if I cranked up the heat they cooked to fast and deflated. a very noticeable difference! will now make these every Saturday, after Friday night movie with your skillet pizza 🙂

7. Amanda says:

These were really good! I was thinking of trying to make them with some cream cheese to moisten them up a bit…how would you recommend doing this?

8. Emy says:

Hello,
    This recipe looks delicious and I will definitely make it but can you please tell me the measurements using a cup instead of grams? Also, I couldn’t find xanthan gum in my local store. Can I replace it with something else?

Thanks

9. Cat says:

Hands down the best keto waffles ever! My mom and daughter topped them with your Nutella and thought they were the best thing ever!

10. Pamela says:

Fantastic – like everything on this site -and much easier to put together than I thought. The video really helps. My daughter loved them – we have added these to the “home from college” repertoire of recipes. On to the doughnuts next!

11. Sherry says:

I have a batch of these going right now for Christmas breakfast tomorrow. Just had to sneak a taste though, to make sure my husband will like them. Yum!!!

The inspiration was the new Waffle House being built down the road, and just the thought of waffles made my mouth get all twitchy😂😂. I remembered saving a link to this recipe a little while ago, so waffles it is.

He walked in while I was taking the first two off the waffle iron and said “Waffles? Heck yeah!”

Merry Christmas everyone🎄

12. Andrea Thompson says:

My husband loved these and he’s VERY picky about substituting keto in for our favorite recipes. He said: “Wow!” And that’s a big win for them. Thank you for this special treat!!!

13. Roxanne says:

These waffles are GREAT! I just cant believe how good these are! It did not take long to make which is really good for me because I have 9 kids to care for. Thank you so much for this recipe!

14. Heather says:

Although the recipe is a little time consuming…these waffles are da’ bomb!!!! I have been looking for a waffle recipe that doesn’t taste like crap and actually fluffs up since I started eating Keto/low carb. I can officially say…these have truly satisfied my waffle cravings and I will be making them over and over. We threw them in the oven for a bit to try and crisp them up…even though they weren’t as crispy as I would’ve liked the taste was incredible. Everyone who ate them enjoyed them…even my daughter who doesn’t typically eat low carb. We served them with Kerrygold butter and Honest Syrup by Choc Zero…so yummy!!!

15. Jules says:

These are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. TRUELY. I make a double batch and freeze them now- just for a quick snack (warm in microwave for 20 sec) if I’m dying for something that feels like carbs. It occurred to me that the batter once it’s cooked in the sauce pan, has a striking resemblance in look and flavor to cream of wheat hot cereal. I love that stuff in the fall and winter, but sadly can’t eat that many carbs or (any) gluten now. I’ve been adding real maple extract flavor(not syrup) to my batter and I think if you add that or vanilla and some almond or coconut milk(if you can’t do dairy like me) at this stage- you’d have a warm bowl of seriously similar to cream of whea! Obviously not adding the rest of the ingredients.
    Just thought I’d mention that in case anyone else is missing cream of wheat.
    Still LOVE the waffles too. Thank you! Xo

16. Diane Payne says:

These waffles are legit, just like the real thing. I feel like I am cheating when I eat them. I have made them with your chicken recipe and also with scrambled eggs and bacon. So good!

17. Lisa says:

these are amazing ! i wonder if adding a bit of cream of tartar would crisp them ? they tasted so much like a french crueler / cream puff i used part of the batter for these, but they’re soft 🙁

18. Jenny McDonnell says:

I have heard amazing things about your recipes, but I am wondering what I can use instead of almond flour. I have celiac and would love to try these, but with my husband’s nut allergies, I need to find an alternative. Any ideas? My friend said not to waiver from your ingredients, as I wouldn’t get the same results, so I keep looking, but not making. Haha. I want to make one of your recipes and try it out. Any ideas for me?
    Warmer regards,
    Jenny

• Pamela says:

Paola has answered a similar request with “sunflower seed flour”. I AM NOT an expert – just a reader! But, if you are still looking and not cooking – you might research that alternative to almond flour.

• Susan says:

I would recommend tigernut flour 1:1 – tigernuts are tubers, not nuts, but have a nice, nutty flavour and the flour is a great substitute for almond flour.

19. Patricia Brewer says:

Wouldn’t Vital Wheat Gluton be better than the Xanthum Gum? I find it gives a truer fluffy texture then the XG. I’ve made MANY if not most of your recipes and notice you never use the VWG.

Lol yeah I NEVER (ever!) use vital wheat gluten because I have Celiacs so it’s literally poison to me 🙈… so tbh it’s been nearly a decade since I haven’t baked with gluten so I can’t help you with this one xo!

• Greg says:

If you plan on making waffles more than once in your life, you might as well get a waffle iron. You can find electric and stovetop waffle irons for less than $30 new and don’t necessarily need to invest in a high-end electric one right off the bat. I got my stovetop waffle iron for $8 at a thrift shop.

• Cammi says:

I wanted to test one (because they smelled so good while my husband was doing the waffles) and I put a dollop in a pan (and spread with wet spoon). Made a tasty pancake!! YUM!

20. Cat says:

Oh these look like heaven! I can’t wait to make them! bakingoutsidethebox has a recipe for almost zero carb golden pancake syrup that’s easy to make and delish if anyone wants to make their own keto syrup. It would be superb on these, along with a few blueberries 😉 I’m thinking breakfast for dinner tonight with these amazing looking waffles. In case I haven’t said it before, thank you Paola for sharing your awesome recipes with the rest of us! You have made my life so much easier and tastier.

21. Carol Watson says:

Okay. this is it! Honestly, these are the best waffles ever. The taste, the texture, the smell! I have been Keto for almost 2 years. I have tried so many recipes trying to find the best waffle ever. I love waffles. So I am here to say that my Peanut Butter Waffle must step aside for these. They are just the right amount of sweetness. They do not crisp up like I would like them too, however with that said, they still have the delicate yet scrumptious mouth feel when I eat them. I even love them cold. So thank you. I also love how they are made this is one of my favorite cooking techniques.