With our legit bread, this grain free and keto stuffing varies little from tradition. Delivering the familiar bite and mix of herbs, that make it a classic hit for the holidays!
Grain Free & Keto Stuffing
i.e. Proper Dressing!
OK, so technically we’re talking about dressing here and not stuffing, which is baked inside the bird. But given that it’s generally not recommended nowadays to stuff your bird… potato, potato.
I’m also going to be employing the help of our famous soft ‘n fluffy sandwich bread (you could bake it as buns too!). If you’ve already made it, you know it tastes all lovely and yeasty. And it turns out it crisps up beautifully too, making one extraordinary stuffing-to-boot.
You’ll honestly be hard pressed to find a difference to the traditional stuff. #ideal
Totally Legit Keto Stuffing (i.e. Dressing!)
- 1 loaf our keto sandwich bread about 500g
- 6 tablespoons grass-fed butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 pound yellow onions about 2, finely diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic ran through a press
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly ground (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice optional*
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 4 springs thyme leaves only
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 250°F/120°C. Slice and dice sandwich loaf to preference, you can do either larger chunks or smaller bits. Scatter bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until dried out (45-60 mins). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Prepare the rest while the bread is in the oven. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter (ghee or olive oil) in a skillet or pan over medium heat. Add in the onion, celery, garlic, a touch of salt and cook, stirring often, until it just begins to brown (about 10 minutes). Add in the nutmeg and allspice (optional) and cook for a couple more minutes until fragrant. Transfer to bowl with bread and toss with the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and butter generously a 10x8x2" baking dish. Whisk broth with eggs and salt. How much seasoning you add will depend on your broth, so you may want to give it a taste before adding in the eggs. Pour broth mixture onto bread, folding gently until thoroughly combined. Transfer stuffing onto prepared dish, scatter remaining butter on top, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, about 10-15 minutes more.