Home » desserts » The Ultimate Chocolate Cake 🍫 gluten free, paleo & keto

The Ultimate Chocolate Cake 🍫 gluten free, paleo & keto

1. Mer Esguerra says:

Hi,

If using psyllium husk as alternative to flaxseed meal, is it same measurement?

Pleae advise! Thanks😊

2. Miah says:

Could I use the batter for cupcakes? I have relatively low spoons (low energy) and find cupcakes much easier to make then layering a cake.

Definitely Miah! I batch yields 6 cupcakes (just be sure to check on them from minute 12 to make sure they don’t dry out!) xo

3. Victoria H says:

Can I use Swerve confectioner’s and Swerve granulated sweetener instead of xylitol? I have animals in my house so don’t keep xylitol here.

4. Catherine D. says:

What if I don’t have the type of cocoa you are suggesting just the regular cocoa powder is there a way to make this using that, would I need to add xanthan gum or is it only doable with that type of cocoa?

5. Karen says:

I see many videos with this recipe for everything but this cake. Is there any video that was made particularly for this cake and how would I access it?

6. Sophie says:

You say the xylitol must be powdered for the icing. For the actual cake, should it be powdered as well? Or granular?

Also, is the icing recipe enough for just ONE round 8 in cake, vs a layered one?

And finally, why do you add the flaxmeal?

THANK YOU!

7. Rose says:

Thank you for this post. I only had stevia based sweetener, however, I made veriations on this recipe without chocolate. The crumb is amazing. I made a coffee, lemon ginger, and red velvet cakes with the base recipe and they were fantastic!

8. HOLY GUACAMOLE, this cake is legit!! I just made this for my friend’s birthday, as she is very strictly keto per the doctor’s guidance, and it was a HIT! 😀 Best cake ever, and everyone at the party had it, despite there being a second regular cake! Will be making this for all birthdays (including my own coming up in a few days haha!). Thank you so so much for this recipe! I did two layers, but definitely doing three next time! I also used an avocado mousse as the frosting and WOW! Thank you, thank you!

9. Annie Justmann says:

Hi,
    I’m looking forward to making this cake tomorrow for my boyfriends birthday. I’m a little confused with the Cocoa. I have a Hershey’s brand that says “Hershey’s Cocoa” but right underneath it says 100% Cacao. The ingredients read: “Cocoa: Cocoa Processed with Alkali”.
    What’s your advice?
    Also was considering making a Carmel sauce to add..let me know if you have any recipes.
    Thank you in advance!!!
    Annie

Hi Annie! You’re good to go as it is alkali processed cocoa 😉 regarding the caramel sauce, I’m still working on one that’s good enough to share…

Happy birthday to your bf! xo

10. Renee says:

I made this today for first time for my husbands birthday and didn’t want to kick us out of ketosis. It was wonderful but didn’t come out of the pan well and ended up breaking and coming out in pieces. Very sad! Did all directions exactly and used xylitol as sweetener. Did a double recipe for two 9inch pans and would change to a smaller plan in the future. How do you suggest I do it next time to ensure it coming out of the pan easier? I saw it said grease, dust with cocoa but didn’t know what line the pan meant. Maybe that was the problem.

Hi Renee! I’m sorry it crumbled on you! In baking terms, lining the pan means cutting out (or purchasing) a circular piece of parchment to line the base of your cake pan to ensure the layers come out in one piece.

And yup, for 9-inch I would do the equivalent of three 8-inch layers. Hope this helps! xo

11. Jenn says:

I made a double batch for a 2 layer cake. And they didnt rise at all. The dough wasn’t pourable either. Just wondering what I could have done wrong??

What sweetener did you use Jenn? I’ve found that some erythritol based sweeteners can make the batter seize up? Any other changes?

• Jenn says:

I used erythritol. Instead of flaxseed meal(didnt have any) I used the amount of it in additional almond flour.and instant Decaf coffee instead of espresso.

12. Stephanie Reilly says:

Wow. Easily my favorite Keto dessert I’ve ever made. For those of you debating whether or not to put the extra work in to make a 3 layer cake rather than 1, DO IT! I will make this cake for my families birthdays for the rest of our lives, and they won’t complain about it either!

13. Nikko says:

I didn’t have any flaxseed, so I tried tapioca flour instead. It turned out very well, can’t wait to make it again.

14. Hailee says:

Hi! I love your recipes and can’t wait for this one! My birthday is on Tuesday and I’m wanting to make a 2-later 9 inch cake. How much do you think the baking time would differ?

Thank you!!

That’s super awesome to hear Hailee! I would probably triple the recipe and divide the batter between the two 9-inch pans. Baking time in all honesty can vary a lot from oven to oven with this cake, but for instance in my oven it would likely be 5-8 mins more xo and happy birthday!!

15. Sweta Santuka says:

Hi Paola ,

This looks heavenly and I am dying to try it .one question,can I use mascarpone cheese instead of cream cheese.

Thanks

16. Glenda W. says:

I need help. I need to make this cake in a 12×18 cake pan. How do I adjust the servings for a cake to fit in that size of pan?? I need it for a birthday party for about 20 people. I hope you can help. thank you

17. Glenda W. says:

Please someone help me…. How much of this do I need to make for a 12×18 cake pan?? For a birthday crowd. Thanks!

18. Glenda W. says:

I need to bake this for a crowd, using a 12″x18″ cake pan. Can you tell me how many servings I need to adjust this to for it to be enough for that size of pan? Thank you.

• Vess says:

So if I did a 3 layer cake, would a 6th of a cake equate to 3 slices worth on the nutritional side? I’ve gotta stay under 20g of carbs!

19. Desiree says:

Looking forward to trying this for my son’s birthday cake. I plan to cover it with modelling chocolate. Do you think I should add some tapioca to the cake mix perhaps (not concerned if non keto) to make it not so fudgey ?
    Thanks

Definitely! You can prob sub 2TBS of the flax and 3-4TBS of the almond flour, but because I haven’t tried it myself I would suggest doing a test batch as it’s for a special occasion 😉 happy birthday to the little (or big?!) guy!

20. Wendy Hooton says:

My son requested this cake for his 21st bday. I made cupcakes which turned oit beautifil. The whole family has converted to keto here and we love it. Visiting relatives who eat sugar daily tried these and said thesee were really good. I feel I should have cooked a little less as you suggested because I think they were a bit dry. Otherwise everything else about this recipe tastes perfect. I made the cinnamon rolls 3 days ago. They were so good, only lasted 2 days! Love your recipes thank you for your creativity.

21. Nancy says:

Hi! Thanks for the recipe! I made this cake tonight and it was really delicious (I have to admit I was terrified to taste it even though the reviews were amazing). It tastes just like brownies, it was very dense and gooey. Question though, the numbers displayed in the recipe, does that include the cake and frosting? Or are the numbers just for the bare cake? When I say numbers I am talking about the nutrition chart.

22. Rachelle Padgett says:

Hi, just curious before I attempt this as I don’t want to waste any ingredients, what do you mean no cocao? I don’t have the same brand of coco powder you use, I know you highly recommend, but can I still use the coco powder (made from cocao) I have or will it not turn out? I also have the regular Hershey’s brand on hand. Thanks 🙂

Cacao and cocoa are different ingredients (cacao is raw, cocoa is alkaline). You want to make sure you use a cocoa here (if your Hershey’s says cocoa you’re fine, if it says cacao it’s a no). xo!

• Wanda says:

Thanks Paola.
        I did not know the difference between CACAO and COCOA, interesting. Every day you learn something.
        My question is regarding Almond flour. I usually prepare it at home, can I use mine or should I buy the one that is already industrialized?

23. Keena Woods says:

Hi!! I made this cake today! The frosting tastes amazing! We havent had the cake yet,but Im so excited! My layers came out really thin–I did use a 9 inch cake pan but it looks like it didnt rise at all…Im not sure why. Was the xylitol for the cake supposed to be powdered or just as it comes in the bag? When I put everything in the hot bath the batter was kind of thick. I didnt need to pour it, but instead I had to spoon it into cake pans. lol! Also, wheb the recipe says 1-1.5 cups of xylitol is that for the level of sweetness that I want?What do you use? Let me know your thoughts!

24. Maz says:

Hi Paola,
    I’ve recently made this cake and I can’t believe how good it tastes and that it tastes as good as a usual chocolate cake if you know what I mean…the only thing is I gave my sister a piece and it kicked her out of ketosis…any reason why?
    I’m following a keto diet maybe not as strictly so I wouldn’t know if I was affected. Any suggestions as to why this happened? Thanks

Hi Maz! Awesome you guys enjoyed it so much, but oh no on the ketosis issue! I don’t see how that could happen with the ingredients in the cake… but what sweetener did you guys use? Could it be that overall in that one meal too many carbs were consumed all at once?

For instance, I do carb ups 1-4 times a week. But sometimes my carb-ups are simply more of higher carb keto foods? I’m fat adapted by now, so I’ll be out of ketosis for a few hours and back in by evening/next morning. I hope this helped, otherwise be sure that your sweetener is a pure sugar alcohol (no hidden maltodextrin etc). xo!

25. Andrea says:

I am trying to make this cake for the first time and used the microwave method first to melt the butter and incorporate the sweetener. It didn’t seem to work to melt the xylitol so I then switched to water bath and I now have a ball of sticky solids that will NOT incorporate at all into the melted butter! Help!!!

Hi Andrea! Not all the sweetener dissolves into the butter, it’s just sort of shaggy (you can see it in the video). Once you whisk in the eggs it becomes smooth

26. Livia Silva says:

I absolutely love baking and honestly all keto cakes recipes I tried before were crap. This is an amazing chocolate cake independent of being keto or not!!! I may try to make a vanilla version of it.

Just one question about the nutritional info. Does it include the frosting? I have a lot to lose so I’m watching my macros closely.

Thank you! 😊