The Ultimate Chocolate Cake 🍫 gluten free, paleo & keto

1. Disunflower says:

Great Cake. I’ve tried keto cakes and this recipe is the best I’ve come across. I love the variety of options to make it for keto, paleo and gluten free. I drizzled a chocolate sauce I made with my own sugar free chocolate to make it paleo and it was amazing! However your frosting is the bomb too! Great Job and Than You!

2. Vivianne says:

I tried doubling the recipe and it fit in a 6inch pan, however the cake is still wet after like half an hour of baking… Should I bake it longer or is it gonna just be a bust

3. Janice Meche says:

looks like you put a ganache on top. not just butter cream. tell us how to make it pretty like yours.

• Lisa says:

No. Almond flour and coconut flour do not perform the same. Coconut flour is far more absorbent and would change the ratio of liquid to dry ingredients, making a dryer, denser product. I am certain you would not like the results of attempting a 1-to-1 substitution.

4. Natalie M says:

Hi
    Question guys – can you sub the flaxseed for coconut flour? I have severe bloating with both flax and psyllium husk and need an alternative. Or should I use just almond flour? Thank you!

5. Les says:

My cakes did not seem dry, I took them out at 13 minutes, but we’re very crumbly. Any suggestions for next time.

6. Danielle Katherine says:

Your website is fabulous! Thank you for sharing 😃 My birthday is on Saturday and we’re making this cake, the only thing is I am allergic to flaxseed! Can we sub for egg whites? Or any other suggestions?
    Xx
    D

7. Emily says:

I put this into myfitness pal and the cals, carbs, and everything are way higher than listed here. Is there a reason for that? it is a 1 slice serving of 6 slices right?

8. johanna d campbell says:

I recently celebrated my bday and wanted a cake!

I made this as 2 layers (double recipe) in a 7 inch pan. I definitely overbaked it, I should have taken it out a tad wet… still pretty tasty!

for the sugar I used half lakanto and half allulose (keto genie brand that has stevia and monk fruit in it in it and measures cup for cup like sugar) I used cheap aldi cocoa powder.

the frosting I used powdered lakanto and a lesser amount of the keto genie allulose (I added to taste.) and half hersheys dark cocoa powder and half cheap aldi cocoa powder.

This cake is super delicious even though I over baked it. I plan on freezing as individually wrapped slices so I can enjoy a treat when I am at family bday parties and such.

My 13 yo daughter who eats regular foods loved it too! said the frosting tasted like brownie batter!

9. I was wondering if adding a little apple cider vinegar and baking soda would improve the rise a little. I do a lot of rice for based gluten free baking, and that seems to really help.

• Paola van der Hulst says:

I need more details to diagnose a problem guys. I think by now we’ve all seen enough baking shows to realize things go wrong ALL the time when it comes to baking if a detail is missed . 😉

10. Claudia says:

I’m new to keto. Began this October. Meals are no problem to make, I love to cook! I really really miss dessert 😣. I made this cake (2 layers) this week to bring to work for a holiday party. It was absolutely incredible! So delicious, the cake & the icing. It was a big hit at work. I’ll definitely be making it again! Thank you Paola for sharing your recipes!

11. Jamie says:

This cake was amazing. I bought Callebaut brut Belgium cocoa powder and it was fabulous. Make sure to not over cook the cake or it dries so fast. Even slightly on the dry side it was the best keto cake we’ve ever had. No one could tell it was sugar/flour free.

12. Fayrooz says:

Paola,
    If I want to make plain butter cream frosting, can I just omit the cream cheese from the recipe or does it change the measurements in the frosting recipe?

13. Holly says:

Can you use granular swerve for this recipe. I normally use the powered version of swerve with great success.

14. Marian says:

Has anyone tried to make it with monkfruit?
    To me that’s has the closest taste to sugar.
    Thanks 🙂

If you mean Lakanto erythritol=monkfruit it will work, pure monk won’t because you need some structure from a sugar alcohol 😉

15. Caroline says:

Hi is it possible to do it with coconut flours? Nuts Allergies in the family ? If so can you tell me how?
    Thx

• KatieinBoston says:

Are you allergic to sunflower seeds? We are peanut and almnd allergic in our family and sucessfully made this with sunflower seed flour.

16. Danny says:

Love your website! There’s a fair few keto sites i’ve used and recipes are always hit and miss, every recipe here looks and tastes great and comes out reliably. Well done! <3
    Danny

17. Genevieve says:

Do you know approximately how tall the three layer cake is? I’m making it Sunday but will need to transport in and need to be sure my cake stand is big enough.

18. olivia says:

The cake looks good but when I doubled the recipe by putting ’12’ in the box, the coconut oil amount didn’t double. which I didn’t realize until too late. You might want to fix that

19. Summer Delacerda says:

Hi! I have no flaxseed meal and only cacao instead of cocoa. I just got back to the store and thought I was set! Any way I can still make this?

20. Patty Lin says:

OH MY LAWRD! I attempted your super flaky crust and failed miserably. I was hesitant to give this a try because I feel I can’t bake to save my life. But the holiday season is approaching and so is a friends birthday so I decided to test this! I’m so glad I did!

I replaced xylitol with erythritol (equal parts) because I have fur babies and don’t trust myself in keeping it away from them. I only had powdered erythritol so I didn’t need to do the water bath for too long. I also baked this in a 6inch by 3 inch pan. Gonna have to make three more next time!

This is a chocolate cake. I can now have CHOCOLATE CAKEEEEEE!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

21. SABRINA says:

Hi. I’m in the USA and will need to convert this recipe from grams into cups etc.. do you have any advice for me or a US version? Also we dont do any sweeteners wo could I reduce the sweetener so that the cake isn’t so sweet? Thanks this for a 2 year old Birthday party!

22. Dee Gee says:

Thanks so much for this recipe. I’ve been trying to find a great chocolate cake base from which to make a German Chocolate Cake for my birthday for about 3 years now. Your recipe was absolutely PERFECT!. My non-low carb hubby who can detect the taste of non-sugar sweeteners in a heartbeat said, “This cake is great!” I used your buttercream frosting for the sides of the cake. It was wonderfully tasty. It was a great birthday. Thanks so much!

23. Amanda says:

Hi Amanda! The issue more than anything is the lack of sugar in keto baking (helps lend structure and rise). I’ve made a lot of the recipes on the site with sugar for friends parties etc (just in case as some peeps react to sugar alcohols!) and I’m always surprised how well cupcakes and cakes rise… a bit depressing, just the way things are xo!