Home » desserts » The Ultimate Chocolate Cake 🍫 gluten free, paleo & keto

The Ultimate Chocolate Cake 🍫 gluten free, paleo & keto

1. Uzomaka says:

Hi there, I have been successfully making delicious meals from your recipes, and this one is definitely something I looks forward to, the one key thing I do not understand is your instructions on building multiple layers, you say if it is a two layer cake adjust the serving size to 12. does that mean I should multiply all the ingredients by 12? to make the two layer, and multiply all the listed ingredients by 18 for a three layer? for example one of the ingredients for a ONE layer of cake calls for 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and from what I understand, to make two layers of cake I should multiply the teaspoon by 12 for 12 teaspoons of baking powder.

I am sure that is not what you mean so please when you can kindly pretty please explain how the math works for multiple layers of cake, I would very much appreciate.

Hi Uzomaka! THat’s awesome to hear! Regarding your question, what I’m talking about adjusting the number of servings is in the recipe card itself (so you change the number to 12 for 2 layers and 18 for 3 layers). This will simply multiply the ingredients by 2 or by 3.

So using your example of the baking powder, you’ll see it will change it to 2tsp when you change number of servings to 12 and 3tsp when at 18 xo!

2. Maz says:

I’m planning to make this cake but a little confused as to how many layers the ingredients listed will make. I’d like to make 2 or 3.
    Please advise??
    Many thanks

3. Lori says:

This recipe is to die for! I’ve made this recipe three times . I make the cupcakes because of portion control . Instead of liners I just spray the muffin tin, let them cool, then turn upside down and they pop right out . This recipe is definitely a keeper!

• April Malone says:

I’m new to this, do you add the frosting to your cupcakes and how much to each one. Also what are the macros of the cupcake and frosting combined. Thank you so much for your help.

4. Cakemix says:

I made this today, and it is delicious! You do need to make multiple layers if you want a traditional cake look, but I made it in a square pan (one layer) and it definitely satisfies my sweet tooth. TY!

I’m sorry Alba I don’t understand? Are you referring to your question about the apricot jam? In all honesty I’m not sure, the cake is a bit fragile- but it could actually work? Maybe worth a shot with one layer first? xo!

• Alba says:

Hi! Yeah, you know black forest cake, chocolate layers saturated with kisch and with cherry jam in between, and with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and preserved cherries on the outside! Sooooo yummy… Maybe I’ll bake the cake for a bit longer, to dry them a little so they won’t turn to mush with the liquor and Jam.😁

I’ll share my findings in my birthday, wish me luck!

5. Alba says:

Oh wow this looks sooooo good! My favorite cake ever is black forest, I think this recipe would be a good start; do you think It could work with some substitutions? Would saturate the cake with apricot liquor or Jam render It todo fragile? I’m eager yo experiment now!

Thanks so much for the wonderfull recipe and all your hard work!

Yes and no! I like my chocolate cakes a bit on the denser and fudgier side, so if you use a stand/hand mixer you would be incorporating a bit too much air when you add in the eggs. Cake does rise a bit more, but texture was not the best in my opinion (you would actually reduce baking time). It’s also more cleanup, so in my opinion don’t quite need to here 😉

6. jade says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It is the first successful low carb cake recipe that tastes as good as it looks! Thank you! Thank you!

7. Hanne Pelletier says:

This is absolutely the most amazing keto chocolate cake I have ever had. It could possibly be one of the best chocolate cakes, period. It took me three tries to make it right though. The first time I tried the microwave method and the chocolate turned into a big mess. The second time I used a tiny bit smaller pan and cooked a bit longer and it came out very fudge like and less cake like. We ate every bit anyway because it was delicious. I was determined to get this right. I made this again yesterday and it was perfect. My (very unhealthy, skeptical) family ate it and commented how great it was. They were surprised when I told them it was healthy! Thank you Paola. You are amazing! Please keep them coming. Everything of yours I have made has been top notch and favorite recipes to date. Your tortillas are a staple in our house on a weekly basis!
    PS My anniversary is coming up and I sure would love a carrot cake recipe for our traditional anniversary carrot cake dessert. <3

8. Kaya says:

I plan on making a 2 layer sheet cake for my husband’s birthday. The cake pan is 12×18. Do you have any idea on how many batches I would need to make?
    This looks SOOOO good! I can’t WAIT to try it!

You did nothing wrong Sherrelann, as stated in the post this is meant to emulate the intensely chocolatey Italian almond cakes. And I think it also comes through in the picture that the cake is not fluffy, but rich and chocolatey 😉 xo!

• Treyson says:

I made it with Sucralose last night. It seems to have turned out alright. I haven’t tasted the actual cake yet, but the frosting was delicious when I licked it off the spoon lol

9. Kim says:

I can’t wait for the weekend to make this. I am going to make one batch of cupcakes. Do I need a whole batch of the frosting, or should I half it?

Your cake decorating and photography are beautiful!!

• Kim says:

Great idea!
        I made the cupcakes and they are amazing!! The frosting is to die for too! I did bake mine a tad too long despite your detailed directions…lol! My toothpick was coming out soupy, but I should’ve just taken them out. But they are still wonderful. I bake less nest time. 🙂

10. B says:

This cake was delicious. Another hit, thank you.

I checked my cake at 15 minutes and it was definitely done and a little dry. I would have pulled it out earlier, so maybe check it at 12-13 min.

I did 10 T of allulose for the cake at 3 T of cocao for the frosting (because the cake is very chocolatey).

Hi B! So happy you liked it! And thanks so much for reporting back on your baking time, I’ve added a note to the recipe 🙂 xo!

11. Nikko says:

I’m looking forward to trying this with a Baileys Ganache. My sisters birthday is coming up and that wold be a tasty treat. Btw, you are named after one of my favorite Greek singers, cheers.

12. Linda Sue says:

I made this tasty cake, it was rich and scrumptious! I had left over frosting, it was so good I didn’t want to throw it away, so I saved it in a container in the refrigerator. The next day, I took a scoop of the frosting and blended it with my coffee. It was a delicious satisfying breakfast!

13. Kimberly C says:

This looks soooo good. I am planning to make cupcakes this weekend. Question on the frosting- in your original buttercream frosting recipe you use Swerve. I am planning to just do a buttercream frosting without the chocolate. Do you prefer swerve or xylitol for the plain buttercream frosting?

Hi Kimberly! I’ve been getting a stronger cooling sensation from erythritol lately so I’ve switched to xylitol (or reducing the erythritol and adding some monk fruit). If you’re cool with Swerve go for it! Taste buds and sweeteners are super personal 😉

14. Lessa Lamb says:

Questions:
    1. Could you powder (blend until dust) coconut sugar and use it instead for the frosting?
    2. I’m allergic to almonds, and many Paleo and keto things heavy on nuts really don’t work for me. If nut flours are out, what’s your second best choice?
    3. Flavor-wise, what’s the best cream cheese alternative for the frosting?

15. Amelia says:

I couldn’t resist and made a batch of cupcakes to take the recipe on a test drive and WOW! These are actually some of the best chocolate cupcakes, keto or not, I’ve had in my life! WOW WOW WOW!! I baked them for 12 minutes, and I was even surprised that they had a decent rise compared to other keto muffins etc I’ve made. It’s also the first recipe I’ve tried from your blog and surely eh first one of many!

16. Pea Green says:

Wow Paola! This looks G O O D !! Would cacao powder be an acceptable swap, or does it have different density? Thank you for all your wonderful recipes to help us all on our keto way :-)) x x

So happy to hear you’re enjoying Pea! On your question, you actually do need cocoa as baking powder is involved.xo!

17. Donna says:

I never comment…just ‘lust’ over your keto offerings….but THIS…THIS…literally ‘takes the cake’!! Simply STUNNING. Your talent (and generosity in sharing it) overwhelms. Thank you so much for taking any notions of ‘deprivation’ out of Keto…You rock.

Hi Jani! You can play around with time a bit more with muffins (I love them super fudgy!). Bake for 10-13 min if you like them extra fudgy (they’ll be set, but still jiggly and they’ll collapse lightly in the center while cooling). And for a more ‘normal muffin/cupcake’ 13-15 min. Varies a little from oven to oven, but these are good guidelines. xo!

18. Stace K. Morgan says:

Happy birthday Paola! What a gorgeous cake lady! Thank you for developing such great recipes that are more often than not even better than the original 🙂