Parmesan Roasted ‘Potatoes’ i.e. Radishes ๐Ÿง€ gluten free & keto

1. Bev Pasquariello says:

Hi, and thanks for the recipe, I hate radishes and can not wait to try it. Just in case I need a roasted potatoes fix.

2. Holly Garrison says:

What a brilliant idea! Couldn’t you use steak seasoning with olive oil? It’s what I used to use before I went keto. And btw, I’m so excited about making a keto pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving! Really appreciate your website! Oh, and totally salivating over the cinnamon buns! Wow! Again, just brilliant! Thank you many times over!!

I haven’t Tiffany! I’m not sure if they would smash as they do have a different texture (I’ll give it a go next time I roast them up!) xo!

3. Maryruth says:

Iโ€™ve made these roasted radishes and they really satisfy my missing potatoes. However, they still tend to have a slightly bitter taste. Any thoughts on that?

4. Marcelle says:

Since going keto I have REALLY missed potatoes – especially the roasted potatoes I always make with a roast beef. Tried turnips; they were ok but a little too sweet. So yesterday I finally decided to give this recipe a shot. I was FLOORED!!! I approached the recipe in a slightly different manner; par-boiling the radishes first since I wasn’t looking for crispy, but the same tender, luscious potatoes my mom had always made. Once drained I put them in a baking pan with olive oil and butter, added fresh chopped herbs (rosemary, thyme and sage), added some Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, garlic powder and a hint of paprika. I then topped them with thinly sliced onion rings and popped them into a 350 degree over with the roast. They cooked for about an hour and a half. When I took the pan out of the oven, I sprinkled them with some grated Parmesan and let them rest when the roast was sliced. OMG! I still cannot believe I was NOT eating potatoes! I had to exercise a ridiculous amount of self control not to eat the entire tray! My husband was chomping down on his real potatoes and looking at me like I had lost my mind cos all I kept saying was “Oh my God, I cannot believe these are not potatoes!” Has anyone tried using radishes to make mashed “potatoes”? Paola, thank you thank you thank you SOOO Much for this AMAZING recipe!!!

Marcelle this is so wonderful to hear! I think you’ll definitely want to check out the has browns and a couple other recipes on the site with radishes then! Andhanks so much for your detailed changes! I have tried boiling them in water and it’s great, but boiling them in olive oil is even better!! See the Spanish omelette (tortilla espanola) recipe- the few peeps that have made that one agree that the radishes for real become potatoes ๐Ÿ˜‰ xo!!

5. Jacky says:

Got some big radishes at the market today. Will try them for breakfast tomorrow. (How indulgent! Potatoes ((not!)) bacon and eggs for breakfast!)

6. James says:

Going to give this a try! But do you think it would be helpful to salt them first and let sit (like with zucchini noodles) and let the water come out before cooking? Would that reduce cook time?

Hi James! In my experience they don’t release as much water as the zucchini when salted, so I just pop them in the oven. Maybe worth a try overnight though? xo!

7. Cindy says:

How on earth do these taste like potatoes and how did it take me so long to find out? Been living low carb for 2 years now & was missing potatoes. Found this recipe on Pinterest and gave it a try. Turned out fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing.

8. Kathleen says:

I peeled and cut daikon radish into large bite sized chunks (They looked just like potatoes). To me, daikon radish are milder. Also, I did not have a lot of time to roast. I microwaved to slightly tenderize the radish. I drained them, spread them on a cookie sheet, added olive oil, salt and thyme and then broiled the radish chunks till brown and tender. When ready to serve, I sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Oh my, these mock potatoes were scrumptious!!!! Definitely going to make this recipe again and again! Thank you for a fun, easy, delicious, family favorite side dish.

9. Sarah says:

Can you roast these lower but longer? I have something else to bake at same time and has to be at 350

10. Angie Hartuian says:

Hi,
    Wondering if this recipe can be made a day in advance or if best eaten straight away. Thank you so much.

I’ve found they’re surprisingly good the day after too (but think more cold salad, radish-like). IF you want them as more potato-like I would do fresh and warm xo!

• Marcelle says:

I always make enough to last a few days and they heat up perfectly in the microwave. Having them for dinner again tonight and already drooling at the thought! Can’t wait to try it with daikon, if i can ever find them…

11. Karen Carroll says:

I liked the flavor and texture of the radishes but thought the thyme was way too strong. I used 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme. Next time I’ll try rosemary and garlic as another comment suggested.

12. Stephen Simone says:

Tried these tonight, and they are astoundingly good!
    Gonna try adding rosemary and garlic when I stir halfway through roasting.
    New to Keto, and was already mourning the loss of my beloved roasted fingerling potatoes.
    These will take their place quite nicely.
    Thank you so much. Love your site!

That’s great to hear Stephen, happy you loved them! You should also check out the hash browns with radishes, they’re awesome too (even more potato-like!). xo and thank you for your comment ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Kate says:

I was pretty scared at the thought of anything radish, I’ve never been a fan! I tried peeling them first, hoping to help get rid of some of that radish-taste, eww! I’ve learned like you that low n slow is the way to go! I was stunned at how good they were…with no radishness at all ๐Ÿ™‚ Think I’ll try them unpeeled with your recipe, those little guys weren’t easy to peel at all!

Thank you for sharing all your hard work, you’ve made low carb not only tolerable, but DELICIOUS! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kate it’s my absolute pleasure! And surely do try them with the skins one, they add a bunch of flavor and crispness once roasted! xo!

14. Tanya George says:

Wow!! First time I have ever bought radish, I tried them raw and wasn’t too sure then I found your recipe and now I am hooked. ๐Ÿ˜‹. Hoping I can convince the children. ๐Ÿ˜€

15. Hollie says:

I just wanted to say that I’ve made these twice now and I absolutely love them! I’ve never been a fan of radishes, but roasting them takes away everything that I didn’t like about them. Their so good that my 11-year-old son devours them! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with my family!

That’s so awesome Hollie so happy you’re enjoying them so much! And yup, they definitely turn into a completely different veggie when roasted! ๐Ÿ™‚ xo!!

16. Rayan says:

I had never cooked with radishes before, but I had been really missing eating potatoes. This recipe is fantastic. I was able to have “potatoes” with my roast beef. Almost like I wasn’t on keto at all.

17. Amber says:

These were delish! Followed recipe exactly and they were perfect. Only thing Iโ€™d suggest is noting that they cook way down so you have to start with more than you think youโ€™ll need. Thank you!

18. Terri says:

I was very skeptical. I don’t like raw radishes and neither does my husband. We both LOVED them!! He even asked for seconds!

19. Nicole says:

For years I have been sautรฉing my radishes with water, pat of butter, and chicken bouillon. I cook them until soft and caramelized. Yummy. They are requested by my family for all holidays (and they were skeptical about cooked radishes until they tried them). I can’t wait to try roasting them!

20. Karla says:

I’m intrigued by this, thank you for the recipe! Has anyone tried them without the Parmesan? I’m wondering if that is a “key” ingredient to making them taste so good?

Hi Karla! I’ve made them several ways, with and without Parmesan, and I think the trick actually lies in how you cook them! Want to get them nice and crisp here!

21. tried this recipe today. I was very skeptical about roasted radishes because all my life I ate them raw in salads or just like a snack.
    I was very pleasantly surprised how delicious they were roasted.

The only thing I think 45 minutes made them way overcooked. Next time I will do 25 min so I have some crunch left.

Hi Angela! I get you, I was also VERY skeptical about roasting them! But glad you also liked them!

And thank you for the feedback on the time! I have heard quite a bit of different feedback about this from readers (one said should be 1 hour 30!!). So maybe it should read roast to taste?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for getting back! xo! Paola

22. stace says:

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it was most deifnitely not this!! HOW ON EARTH do they taste like potatoes?!! THANK YOU! I’ll be adding them to the thanksgiving menu ๐Ÿ™‚

hahaha…! YUP! The same thing happened to me the first time I tried them!

Fairly magical ๐Ÿ˜‰ xo Paola