Extra Crisp Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal 🥛 gluten free, keto & paleo

Our gluten free and keto cinnamon toast crunch just got a big makeover, making it much (muuuch!) crunchier. Plus less ingredients and just 2g net carbs a serving!

Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal #keto #ketobreakfast #lowcarb #cereal #glutenfree #healthyrecipes

Grain Free & Keto Cinnamon Toast Crunch 🥛

Now Extra Crunchy! ⚡

We’ve got grain free keto cinnamon toast crunch cereal, and we’re (most definitely!) sharing. Here’s your childhood’s cereal bowl dream, low carb and with all non-processed ingredients. And most definitely, one of our favorite sweet treats we’ve cooked up as of late.

Who doesn’t remember getting home from school, and devouring a bowl of good-old cinnamon toast crunch with iced-cold milk. Or that late-night snack. That flavor will forever be engrained in our tastebuds. And since we’re in this woe for good, we thought we’d revive this classic for the sake of nostalgia.

Though do note that the taste cannot be replicated exactly, blame it on artificial flavorings, refined sugars and processed carbohydrates. But trust us when we say that it will more than satisfy your cinnamon toast crunch cravings. And more.

And talking about ideal, you can always freeze half the dough for a rainy day. 🌧

Keto-fied 💁🏿

Keeping keto macros in mind, aside from making this classic cereal low carb, we made sure to up the fat in these keto cinnamon toast crunch.

And we absolutely adore grass-fed butter as the fat here. Though do note that coconut butter can be subbed in, just note that the resulting cereal will be denser and therefore slightly less crunchy.

So at 2g net carbs, we find these keto cinnamon toast crunch to be a very good deal. Particularly compared to the whooping 19g net carbs of the original!

Though let’s face it, just like with the original, you might be doubling the serving size on occasion always. Still, 4g net carbs. 💁🏿

Essentially a cookies & milk sorta thing, it makes for one truly special keto breakfast treat.

The Deets 🔍

Creaming the butter properly with the sweeter is paramount here to build a nice structure for the cookies (think rise and crunch!). And creaming with sweetener, in case you haven’t done it before, takes a bit longer to incorporate than with good-old sugar. But don’t give up, and keep going until you’ve got the sweetener well incorporated into soft and fluffy butter.

The other indispensable thing, is that the dough be thoroughly chilled before rolling and baking. Why? The butter in the dough has to solidify once again before you can roll it out and cut it up. Think 1 to 2 hours (or overnight).

And if the dough becomes too sticky while rolling and cutting, just pop it in the freezer for a few (and a sprinkle of cocoa powder always helps too).

Gluten Free, Paleo & Keto Cinnamon Toast Crunch 🥛 Extra crunchy & just 2g net carbs! #keto #ketobreakfast #lowcarb #paleo #glutenfree

The Cinnamon 🍂

We made this with both Ceylon cinnamon and Mexican cinnamon. And it’s probably no wonder (as it’s much less pricey), but Mexican cinnamon won all the way. Its sweet and strong aroma is key to get your cinnamon toast crunch right.

Note: if your label doesn’t say Ceylon, it’s most likely the Mexican variety. So don’t sweat it.

We found that super fine almond flour did a killer job (solo!). Add a touch of xanthan gum, and we’re golden.

In terms of brands, for the almond either Anthony’s or WellBees work great. Both are super fine grinds.

The Sweetener 🍯

Erythritol lends a very similar crunch and chew to sugar for crisp cookies, and no other low carb natural sweetener does that (xylitol takes up to a day to crunch up and will result in chewy cereal!).

My current favorite for these guys? Lakanto golden without a doubt. Least cooling effect, nice maple-like taste. But Swerve  and Pyure (at half the amount) are awesome too.

As for the ‘sugar’ cinnamon topping, you can either carry on with erythritol or use xylitol  (with a preference for the later, as it has less of a cooling effect).

And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup or cat around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys! 🐕

The Cut-Up 📏

This really depends how OCD you are. But please forget your pastry cutter or knife here. It’s all about the ruler.

Wash up a ruler and use one of its edges to press down on the dough and cut it up. Then take a small fork and prick down each square to avoid excessive puffing.

But note that we timed ourselves and it took 3 minutes 40 seconds to cut up and do the pricking for the whole batch. 🙅🏿

Totally worth it for the sake of a true bowl of keto cinnamon toast crunch.

The Recipe Video

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

Gluten Free, Grain Free & Keto Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal 2.0

Course: Breakfast, Cookies, Dessert
Cuisine: American
Keyword: gluten free, grain free, keto, low carb
Servings: 10 servings

Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Customary for an instant conversion.

For the cinnamon topping:

1. See recipe video for guidance!

2. Add almond flour, cinnamon, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.

3. Cream butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer, 2-3 minutes. Add in sweetener and continue to beat until thoroughly light and fluffy and much of the sweetener has dissolved.

4. Add in egg, mixing until just incorporated. The mixture will appear slightly 'broken' (i.e. not thoroughly smooth).

5. With your mixer on low, add in half of your flour mixture- mixing until just incorporated. Mix in the rest.

6. Wrap cereal dough with cling film (saran wrap) and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 3 days.

7. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.

8. Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until nice and thin. Using a ruler, cut dough lengthwise and then crosswise into squares. Prick each piece with a small fork (optional).

9. Transfer parchment paper with the keto cinnamon toast crunch to a baking sheet or tray, and place in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking. The shaped dough can be frozen for up to 3 months, and baked straight from the freezer (adding 2-3 minutes more to the baking time).

10. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until fully golden (depending on size and thickness). Keep an eye out for them, and note that if you like them crisp you'll want to push the baking time as much as possible (until deep golden).

11. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon 'sugar'. You can also do this prior to baking for a more 'crusty' result, both work well just depending on your preference so feel free to experiment.

12. Allow to cool for ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely, as they'll continue to crunch up (this may take a few hours for the sweetener to harden up again!).

13. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

*Coconut butter can be substituted if dairy free or paleo. Just note that your cereal will be less airy (and therefore crunchy). Having said that, still much crunchier than our previous version!

Gluten Free, Grain Free & Keto Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal 2.0
Amount Per Serving (40 g)
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 33mg 11%
Sodium 234mg 10%
Potassium 6mg 0%
Total Carbohydrates 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 4g 8%
Vitamin A 4.5%
Calcium 4.5%
Iron 4.5%

What’s Trending! 🏆

Share the yummy-ness! 📷💨

If you made this recipe (or got a question!), be sure to simply comment below!

And do share your photo with your favorite Facebook group or tag @gnomgnom.yum on Instagram (I love seeing them all!!)

The Latest 💨

1. Amy Zimmerman says:

I am new to the Keto world and honestly, cereal is one of the things I miss most. I just found this today and am going shopping right now. if they are as good as they sound and the reviews say they are…I WILL BE ONE HAPPY CAMPER.

2. Bree says:

Could I use baking powder instead of baking soda? How much baking powder would that be, and how would it change the cereal? Thanks!

3. Franziska Schwarzkopf says:

Is it possible to use Sukrin instead of Swerve? I live in Germany and would really love to try your recipes, but Swerve is really hard to get around here! Love, Franzi 🙂

That really depends on how you cut it up etc Chelsea, for precision you need to weigh it (40g per serving!) xo

4. Rachel says:

Hi! Can I sub chilled ghee and coconut sugar for the butter and sweetener? I’m paleo and would like to try these!

Hi Rachel! Yes, they come out a bit less crisp with ghee, but still good! Just do 1 less TBSP of ghee xo!

5. Alba says:

Wow this looks so good! I wonder, could the flavour be changed? Maybe sub the cinnamon for dried freeze powdered strawberries, and add some strawberry flavor; then sprinkle with more powdered strawberries and xylitol?

Like a keto version of frankenberry cereal! What do you think? Could it work? So many flavor options if it did! Thanks for the great recipes and ideas, your recipes aren’t only “good for keto”, they are just as good if not better than the classical version. Thank you for all your hard work! 🙂

YES YES YES! I’m actually working on a fruity cereal and I can tell you it definitely works ;)! It’s my absolute pleasure Alba, thank you for your comment! xo!

6. Kaysie says:

I would love to try these! Looks super delicious! Does it make a lot of leftovers? And how would you store them? In the pantry? In the fridge? I want to make them the day or two before I eat them but I’m not sure on the best way to store them. Thanks!

7. jan says:

In the video at 1 minute, it shows something white being sprinkled on the parchment paper and the ‘dough’ before rolling. Does not say what it is, and nothing is mentioned in that step of the text directions.

Whatever it is may not be necessary, as not mentioned in the text ?

Yeah sorry about that (not necessary!). I had sprinkled some arrowroot starch (low GI but higher carbs). Not needed as the dough doesn’t stick to the parchment when cold xo!

8. Christina Best says:

hi i love this keto cereal. it’s probably my favorite. But i actually prefer the old recipe over the new. The one where you had to add apple cider vinegar. I now wish i would have printed out the recipe. I’ve made the new one twice and it seems to fall apart in crumbs easily for me.

9. Jane Ritchuk says:

This was amazing. Mine did not crunch up they way I would have liked, but I didn’t care. They were actually more like cookies than cereal. In fact would make a GREAT crust was something sweet (just a suggestion). I will make again. The first time, I did not butter and sugar half way through baking and that may be the problem. Did not care, delicious anyway.

Hi Jane! So happy you enjoyed! For next time if they don’t come out crunchy enough for your taste, you can always do a double bake. So wait for them to cool and bake them again for 3-6 mins (depends really on your oven, just make sure they don’t burn!), open the oven door and let them cool down with the oven.xo!

10. kim says:

I made the cinnamon cereal and I LOVED IT! I actually liked the thicker ones as they tasted like graham crackers…. and who doesn’t like graham crackers? I ate mine dry as a snack at my work desk it was addicting! Thanks and I love your site as I’m new to veto and I’m finding lots of great thing!

LOL exactly! And yup on the graham cracker taste, which is why the recipe for graham crackers is exactly like this one (with less cinnamon!) 😉 xo!

11. Bisha says:

May I use stevia powder in place of xylitol? I don’t get any of these ingredients in my country so I’m waiting for my xylitol to come in next week. In the meantime, I have truvia (stevia powder) which I use for tea. Please let
    Me know! Love your website 🙂

Hi Bisha! So happy you’re enjoying! Xylitol only works here for the cinnamon ‘sugar’ topping, or your CTC will come out chewy rather than crunchy. I’ve never baked with Trivia so I can’t tell you exactly. Is it just stevia? Or is there erythritol or something else mixed in? xo

12. Rebecca says:

I love your site and recipes! However, with the cursor changing constantly and all the pop up ads it’s incredibly hard to use. I suffer through it because your recipes are good but it’s frustrating every time I come to your site. I hope you’ll consider turning off the little cursor thing. I understand the need to earn an income so I’m good with clicking off the ads but the cursor is beyond annoying.

Hi Rebecca! Happy you’re enjoying the recipes. Most unfortunately I’ve learned quickly that you can’t please everyone. And yes, I most definitely need the ads to keep the content free for you guys, as running the site is not at all free for me to say the least. xo!

Hi Sam! In all honesty I haven’t baked with guar gum in about 5 years, as I never got as good results as with xanthan gum. Bob’s Red Mill I believe has a fairly good conversion chart from xanthan gum to guar gum. But some flax meal would also be a good sub here (twice the amount)- not a perfect sub, but good enough. xo!

13. Gloria says:

Dang these are so good! The texture was a bit softer than i’d like for a cereal, but i’ll try adding the butter before baking next time like you mentioned! Either way- SUPER tasty and satisfying. 🙂

Hi Gloria! That’s awesome so happy you enjoyed! To get more crunch you can always heat up your oven back to 350F/180C, turn it off and pop them to dry out. You’ll be baking them (almost) twice and get much more of a crunch (think Italian biscotti) 😉 xo!

It’s a 40g serving for the nutritional info (number of serving you get out of a batch is at the top of the recipe card) xo!

14. Alexis says:

I have the dough in the fridge now. I’m dying to have these tonight. Is it completely necessary to allow it to stay for an hour?

Hi Alexis! Unfortunately yes, otherwise it’ll be too sticky and you won’t get the same results 🙁 you want the butter to solidify (also because if you put it in the oven melted, it’ll just spread!) xo!

15. Yaritzabeth says:

Can the egg be omitted or is there anything I can use to replace the egg? I really want to try this recipe but I’m allergic to eggs :\

Hi Yaritzabeth, unfortunately I haven’t tried with any egg subs so I can’t really help you here. Though I can tell you that things such as chia eggs wouldn’t work (think soggy crackers) xo

• Jennifer says:

Hi Yaritzabeth, did you ever try the recipe with any egg substitutes?

I also can’t have eggs & I’m low carb- a difficult combo! Anyway, I may give it a try and if it works I’ll post back here so others can benefit.

16. Leanna says:

this looks amazing! if i want to reduce the amount of swerve/sweetener, do you think i would have to add more of something else to get the same crunchy result? thank you!

Hi Leanna! I have in fact made these cookies with no sweetener at all (they’re pretty much the buttery crackers recipe) and they do have a softer crunch, more shortbread like. So consider that when cutting the sweetener. Also keep in mind that I already cut the sweetener in half here vs traditional non-keto cookies. So you may even find the cookies themselves (without the cinnamon sugar topping) to be very lightly sweetened. Hope this helps xo!

17. Serena says:

Hi, I followed the recipe, I only used xylitol, and I cooked them longer, but they still weren’t crunchy. What did I do wrong?

Serena.

Hi Serena! If you read the section on sweeteners, I actually advice against using xylitol for the actual cereal (erythritol works best). The reason for this is that once melted xylitol takes up to a day (or even two!) to dry out, so your cereal will be chewy rather than crunchy. It doesn’t have to do with cooking time, but with the molecular structure of xylitol itself. Hope this helps! xo!

18. Jessica Stein says:

I also made these this weekend (aside from your terrific waffles). And wow! Very crunchy and delicious! Very graham cracker like 🙂

Hi Jessica! I’m sorry to have missed your comment…! So happy you enjoyed and thanks for reporting back xo!

Hi Kim! Unfortunately coconut flour would result in soggy cereal, but have you tried sunflower seed or pumpkin seed flour? Many readers who are allergic to almonds use it! xo

19. dianars says:

OMG I’m such a fan of your old ones that the minute you said an improved version was out I had to try asap! And WOW you werent kidding! With the new ones let me tell you that I can no longer taste I’m eating keto!! Feel like I’m cheating now it’s nuts.

I used swerve and you do have to wait for them prob about an hour for them to be crunchy. I added the cinnamon topping right after baking. thnx!!

20. Zoe says:

Is the freezing step necessary after its rolled out or can they go straight into the oven? Thank you. VERY excited to try.

21. Roxana Lopez says:

I didn’t see (sorry if I missed it) and note of the actual yield for this batch. Can you give us a clue as to volume of a single serving? Thanks.

Hi Roxana! Volume wise I’m not sure as I do tend to weigh, but I calculated serving size for the new ones to yield 40g.