Home » bread » (Soft ‘N Fluffy!) Sandwich Bread With Yeast 🍞 gluten free, keto & paleo

(Soft ‘N Fluffy!) Sandwich Bread With Yeast 🍞 gluten free, keto & paleo

Count on this gluten free and keto bread with yeast to be extra soft, fluffy and absolutely delicious with a killer crumb. Plus, with less than half the amount of eggs as your usual low carb bread recipe, this non-eggy sandwich bread will surely become a staple!

Note: this recipe was first published on April 9th 2018, but has since been updated to provide more deets ‘n tricks! And to my knowledge, it was also the first keto bread recipe with yeast on the internet! 😉

Slicing keto bread with yeast
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

Light, Fluffy & Not-Eggy (At All!!)!

Without a doubt the most requested recipe by you guys this year has been for a light and not-eggy keto bread loaf. And after quite a few takes, I finally nailed it. The resulting bread has awesome rise (nearly double it’s initial volume!!), killer crumb, and excellent taste.

And as previously mentioned, it’s not eggy, dense or crumbly. Think at least less than half the amount of eggs of your typical recipe, and a few other tips and tricks to ensure killer results. So while different from traditional wheat bread (because ahem, no wheat!), we’re still certain you’ll find this a keeper.

Plus, it keeps very well at room temp for 4 days and freezes beautifully. Oh, and you might also be surprised how good this bread is even without toasting.

The Deets

Making this paleo and keto bread is incredibly simple really. But, like with any yeasted bread, it does require you take care of a few details to ensure the best possible outcome.

And the one thing to keep in mind is that your bread will likely fall slightly post bake. Blame it on the lack of starch (keto flours are notoriously heavy and moist) and certain missing proteins (think gluten). Just keep in mind that I’m baking at ridiculously high altitude here, so if my loaf was still nearly double it’s volume after cooling- odds are yours will be even better!

Before rise

Keto bread with yeast before rising
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

After rise

Keto bread with yeast after rising
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

The Method

The yeast in this low carb and keto bread ensures a wonderful texture and taste. Now, how much your bread will rise (and fall!) post-bake depends quite a bit on your altitude. But note that you still won’t get that gummy and wet texture here of most low carb breads. Plus, as mentioned, I’m baking at over 7,000 feet (Mexico City here!!), so if I can make this keto sandwich bread work so can you.

On that note, I’ve since baked it in LA (you know, sea level!) and can indeed confirm that the rise is much better- but it does take a little bit longer (about 15-20 minutes more).

Weigh your ingredients. This will forever be a staple recommendation for any sort of gluten free baking here at gnom-gnom. As aside from leading to less dirty dishes, it will ensure consistent results time and time again. Remember that gluten free (and particularly keto) baking is notoriously finicky, and measuring by cups is anything but accurate. And if you don’t own a baking scale, measure with cups by dropping the ingredients onto them rather than scooping them out (which often leads to overpacking).

Ingredients at room temperature. Self explanatory really, but incredibly important (particularly for the eggs). If you add cold eggs to the mix your bread simply won’t rise much (if at all).

Proof the yeast. This involves mixing dry active yeast with water that’s just warm to touch (between 105-110°F to be precise) and inulin (which is fully keto) or an actual sugar (think maple syrup or honey) for 7 minutes until foamy. And before you scream sugar (!!) remember that the yeast will feed on such sugar to emit carbon dioxide, so it doesn’t affect the carb count. And yes, this is a scientific fact.

Avoid abrupt temperature changes and air drafts. Like with any yeast bread, you need to cuddle your dough. Make sure it’s able to rest undisturbed in a warm space.

Baking at high altitude? Yup, so am I (Paola here!!). I’ve tried quite a few combinations, and the one modification I will suggest is to increase your oven temperature by 25°F. You may also need to decrease the baking time by 5 minutes (I baked the bread for 45 mins), but that may change from oven to oven.

Slicing keto bread with yeast
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

The Ingredients & Possible Subs

This bread does have quite a few ingredients, but you’ll find that most are staple paleo and keto pantry ingredients. In the list below you’ll find details on several ingredients and possible subs. But if possible, please do try and make this recipe without any subs. As out of the 18 permutations we tried, this one really was terrific and the absolute best.

Almond flour. You truly need a super finely ground almond flour here, as if you use meal your bread will turn out dense and oily. Super fine almond flour brands include Anthony’s (my personal favorite), WellBees and Bob’s.

Now if paleo, or in keto maintenance, you can lighten up the bread even more by substituting part of the almond flour (1/4-1/2 cup) with arrowroot flour.

Golden flaxseed meal.  You’ll want to use golden flaxseed meal (we use Bob’s), and regrind the flakes in your (very dry!) bullet or blender until finely powdered. Great way to avoid slimy bread. You can technically substitute the flaxseed meal with psyllium husk powder, but we prefer the crumb much more with the flax. Just make sure its the golden variety and not the regular (VIP thing!!).

Psyllium husk powder. Same as with your flaxseed meal, you’ll always want to regrind your psyllium husk. We always favor NOW brand as it doesn’t turn bread purple. You can substitute it with more flax, but your bread may lose some elasticity and rise.

Whey protein isolate. This one is an absolute must, as it will ensure your bread doesn’t collapse post-bake. Keep in mind that this ingredient varies tremendously from brand to brand, and I’ve only tried (and are super happy!) with Isopure’s Zero Carb Unflavored. Update: I’ve since tried this grass-fed whey protein isolate and it also works the charm (a bit pricier, but undoubtedly higher quality)!

Now, the cream of tartar and powdered ginger help to condition the dough to get an even nicer rise. Though note that you can skip them without too much detriment to the final results.

Keto sandwich bread on a cooling rack
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast
Bitten slice of keto bread with butter
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast
Gluten free and keto bread slices
Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

Looking for more keto bread recipes with yeast?! Be sure to check out our famous cinnamon rolls, extra fluffy pizza crust and rosemary focaccia!

Slicing keto bread with yeast

Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast

Course: Bread, Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: keto bread, keto bread with yeast, keto sandwich bread
Resting Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 12 slices

Count on this gluten free and keto bread with yeast to be soft, fluffy, absolutely delicious and with a killer crumb. Plus, with less than half the amount of eggs as your usual low carb bread recipe, this non-eggy sandwich bread will surely become a staple!

Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Cups for an instant conversion. Though for best results we (highly!!) suggest you weight your ingredients here.

For the paleo & keto bread

For the paleo & keto bread

1. See recipe video for guidance on keto yeast breads. And be sure to check out the post for full deets, tips and possible subs!

2. Line a 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper (an absolute must!). Set aside.

3. Add yeast and maple syrup (to feed the yeast, see notes) to a large bowl. Heat up water to 105-110°F, and if you don't have a thermometer it should only feel lightly warm to touch. Pour water over yeast mixture, cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 7 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly, if it isn't start again (too cold water won't activate the yeast and too hot will kill it).

4. Mix your flours while the yeast is proofing. Add almond flour, flaxseed meal, whey protein powder, psyllium husk, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar and ginger to a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.

5. Once your yeast is proofed, add in the egg, egg whites, lightly cooled melted butter (you don't want to scramble the eggs or kill the yeast!) and vinegar. Mix with an electric mixer for a couple minutes until light and frothy. Add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and mixing until thoroughly incorporated. You want to mix thoroughly and quickly to activate the xanthan gum, though the dough will become thick as the flours absorb the moisture.

6. Transfer bread dough to prepared loaf pan, using a wet spatula to even out the top. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm draft-free space for 50-60 minutes until the dough has risen just past the top of the loaf pan. How long it takes depends on your altitude, temperature and humidity- so keep an eye out for it every 15 minutes or so. And keep in mind that if you use a larger loaf pan it won't rise past the top.

7. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C while the dough is proofing. And if you're baking at high altitude, you'll want to bake it at 375°F/190°C.

8. Place the loaf pan over a baking tray and transfer gently into the oven. Bake for 45-55 minutes until deep golden, covering with a lose foil dome at minute 10-15 (just as it begins to brown). Just be sure that the foil isn't resting directly on the bread.

9. Allow the bread to rest in the loaf pan for 5 minutes and transfer it to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely for best texture- this is an absolute must, as your keto loaf will continue to cook while cooling! Also keep in mind that some slight deflating is normal, don't sweat it!

10. Keep stored in an airtight container (or tightly wrapped in cling film) at room temperature for 4-5 days, giving it a light toast before serving. Though you'll find that this keto bread is surprisingly good even without toasting!

Recipe Video

*You can feed the yeast with either inulin or an actual sugar (thanks for the inulin tip guys!). And do remember that the yeast will feed on such sugar to emit carbon dioxide, so it doesn’t affect the carb count. And yes, this is a scientific fact.

**If paleo (or in keto maintenance), feel free to sub 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond flour with arrowroot flour for a lighter crumb.

Please note that nutrition facts were estimated per slice, and we found the recipe to yield 12 generous slices. Though you could easily get 16-18 thinner slices.

Gluten Free & Keto Bread With Yeast
Amount Per Serving (1 slice)
Fat 14g22%
Saturated Fat 3g15%
Cholesterol 26mg9%
Sodium 254mg11%
Potassium 83mg2%
Carbohydrates 6g2%
Fiber 4g16%
Protein 5g10%
Vitamin A 165IU3%
Calcium 60mg6%
Iron 1mg6%

• ELIEZER RODRIGUEZ says:

One small Hass avocado for one egg. I saw Alton Brown make cake icing using avocados. It turned out green, but it’s worth it.

1. Michael says:

Hey there! I’ve made this bread many times with much success. More recently, maybe because of summer heat and humidity, my loaf will sometimes come out with a tunneling hole along the top – just below the crust. It’s annoying because it then falls apart as a sandwich. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

• Hi Michael! It sounds like you’re over proofing your bread now that its summer! I actually had the SAME thing happen to me this week (because its soooo warm in my apt in LA!). So just shorten the proofing time for the time being 😉 xo!!

2. Bambi says:

I’ve tried many keto bread recipes and this is the closest I’ve tasted to wheat bread. I slice it and put a small piece of parchment paper between each slice and freeze it. I’m really happy that my sister recommended this recipe!

3. Robin P says:

The rising problem may be due to the food for the yeast. Honey is a natural antimicrobial so it may be inhibiting the yeast. Inulin can be hydrolyzed by some yeasts, but the active dry yeast has been artificially selected by the manufacturer to perform the best with what is typically found in the kitchen – sucrose (table sugar). I’m a microbiology professor and my students perform experiments with yeast, looking at various sweeteners and the rate of fermentation. Bread yeast ferments sucrose, molasses (53% sucrose), coconut syrup (75% sucrose), and palm syrup (38% sucrose) well. Sucrose is hydrolyzed to glucose and fructose, so yeast will also use those. Honey, by the way, only has about 1% sucrose.
    Typically, only a small amount of sugar is needed in breadmaking because the yeast will produce enzymes that degrade the starch in flour to glucose to continue to ferment. This can’t happen with the substances in this bread, so sugar is needed. The yeast probably is not going to consume all of the sugar, but if you want rise from yeast, use sugar.

• I LOVE when you guys teach me things (i.e. school me lol!) 🙂 thank you Robin for this! I actually got the inulin tip from one of you guys too, and I find that its the one that leads to the best rise out of the lot (Keto yeast doughs are honestly super weird in they’re behavior!) xo!!

• Carol says:

I use honey almost exclusively and never have good luck with the rise (sea level, everything at room temp (except the sour cream) and the yeast bubbled) so I guess I don’t understand what I continually do wrong unless it’s the honey? Ugh it’s so frustrating. What sugar do you use for the yeast Paola?

• Thank you for letting me know Carol! After this thread I’m going to add a note to the recipe about it. I’ve gotten the most luck out of inulin actually. Before that I used to use maple syrup a lot, but have also used coconut sugar and regular sugar packets (from Starbucks lol!) successfully. xo!

• Dan says:

This information is incredibly helpful. Before I read these posts I tried again last night and in my frustration I tripled the amount of yeast and honey. I actually got the best bread so far…almost the exact same size as the loaf you get in the store! I am going to try with inulin and see how that goes…it would appear it was the honey as the culprit…so glad to learn this as my family loves the bread!!!

4. Mark says:

This appears to be nearly identical to the recipe for “Pillowy-soft keto buns”, except this only calls for 1/8 tsp ground ginger, instead of 1/4 tsp.

So my question is this – what is the gingers role in this bread?

You have, hands down, the best keto bread recipes I’ve ever tried Paola!! Thanks so much for pioneering these recipes for us!!

• Great eye Mark!! Yeah the buns recipe went up because I was getting a recipe request for buns non stop and I was tired of referring people back to this one lol

And regarding your question, you’ll find ginger a lot in yeast enhancers because it creates a nice environment for it to thrive xo!

• Some peeps have reported back that it works Marcelle… but I’ve honestly never had any luck with it. The bread still tastes good and yeasty, but its not really fluffy (rises and collapses post bake) xo!

5. Anne says:

Haven’t tried it yet but hoping to use my homemade gf, grain free sourdough starter instead of packaged yeast, any guess on how much to use?

6. Gabrielle Bowman says:

I noticed that baking soda isn’t included in the ingredient list. What does the apple cider vinegar act on?

7. Pris says:

Can I use lupin flour instead of the flax?
    Actually, where can I sub lupin flour for? I bought a lot and there’s not many recipes that use it…

8. Sonia says:

This bread was very moist, I used no substitutions. The flavor was ok though. I’m not sure how you got that moisture out but this doesn’t look like it will get any drier.

9. Lorelei says:

I finally took the time to procure all the ingredients and bake this bread. My husband was thrilled to eat a sandwich after joining me on my Keto journey two weeks ago. The bread has it’s delicious! Mine did not rise very much. My yeast was fresh and proofed well. I’m at sea level and I let it do it’s thing for about an hour. No big deal, I just expected more height – could have been pan size. I didn’t break out a measuring tape, just eye-balled it. Not too dense – and toasts well. Sliced plain with butter is not my favorite way to eat it, but toasted and smeared with fresh ground peanut butter and berry jam… Oh my word, it scratches the itch! 🙂 Tomorrow I’m going to make French toast with part of the loaf and see how it holds up. Definitely worth trying.

10. Judy says:

You call for protein isolate but I only have Jarrows unflavored whey protein…concentrate, not isolate. Does it matter?

11. Shane says:

I have cooked this about 5 times and cannot get it to rise at all. I’ve followed, to my knowledge, all of your suggestions, and other suggestions in the comments to no avail. I’m around sea level, bring everything to room temperature, putting all dry ingredients into the food processor, proofing in oven’s proof state (also tried on top of stove), and this thing will not rise at all. Do you have any extra suggestions to help ensure it’ll rise?

• Hi Shane! I do promise that the bread does rise, so let’s see if I can help! Honestly it could just be that your yeast isn’t good? Have you considered that? Does it foam a lot when activated? Other than that I swear all it needs to rise is a little heat (a bit more than regular yeast bread). Anything else you can think of that could’ve gone differently? Sour cream at room temp? Eggs at room temp? Xo!

• Dan says:

I have the exact same problem as Shane. I have tried the hamburger bun recipe and the bread recipe and I got almost no rise on either. The flavor is there, but I need it to rise more. I bought ALL new ingredients, eggs and sour cream at room temperature, they yeast proofed great lots of foam and I let it rest for at least an hour in a warm oven. My whole family has went Keto so I am hoping I can get this figured out and make big batches, but I really need to figure out why its not rising. Also I am close to sea level so altitude is not an issue and I am measuring everything out in grams with my scale.

The yeast is active, so I cannot figure out what is going wrong…considering doubling the yeast and honey just to see if that has any impact…not sure what else to try

• Debbie Stanton says:

I had the same trouble. I turned my oven on lowest setting 170 then shut it off when it reached temp. Put my dough into rise. As it cooled off, I started the oven again, only letting it warm up a bit then shut it off before it got to temp (with dough still in). Did this a couple of times. I should mention this was done on the buns. They rose beautifully and then I baked them. I left them for probably 1 1/2 hrs proofing and I am also at sea level. I am going to try the bread today with same method.

• Michelle G says:

It was just noted by a Microbiology professor, in the comments above, that honey does not have enough sucrose in it for the yeast and will inhibit the rise. Try using the Inulin or just table sugar and see if that helps.

12. Julie says:

I’m so incredibly bummed! I also had high hopes for this bread. I had all ingredients on hand. This is the 7th keto bread recipe I’ve tried and was very hopeful for a yummy tasting bread. The consistency was great but it tasted bitter and almost rancid. It’s inedible! Any suggestions or ideas on what could have happened? I did use the last bit of my baking powder but its only a few months old and not past expiration. I thought the amount of FLAX (86 g) was an a lot but I followed the recipe to a tee! Please give me some feedback.

• Hi Julie! The bread should in no way taste rancid… that is caused by one of your flours being rancid (smell each one, particularly the flax!) and like you mentioned, the baking powder. Remember that baking powder can go bad waaaaay before the expiration date on the package (I throw mine out every 6 months to guarantee peak potency!) xo!

13. Vicki Simpson says:

Recently discovered your site- Big fan of your recipes! Wonder if you have experimented making this bread recipe in a bread machine? If not, do you think it would be feasible?

• So nice to hear Vicki! Tbh I haven’t tried, but I do remember someone did and gave the details in the comments (I know there are A LOT… but you can search the comments using your browser for ‘bread machine’ and you should find it!) xo!

14. Andrea says:

Hi – could I substitute the whey protein powder with egg white protein or other protein powder? I am dairy intolerant (not just lactose). Thanks.

15. Nancy says:

Amazing ! Finally a good low carb bread !! Good texture and taste. I use yogourt instead of sour cream. Thanks for sharing !

16. Bethany Zavala says:

Okay….WHOA! I had HIGH high hopes (for this bre-ad) Didn’t know how but this bread made a killing! Okay I’m done panicking at the Disco lol. This will definitely be a bread I do again. Even better than Dr.Bergs best bread ever recipe! Im gonna had some flavorful herbs next time. Some key things that I think helped:
    1) All ingredients were room temp
    2) Used my food processor for mixing
    3) Ground ALL dry ingredients (no purple bread here!)
    4) Proofed the bread with damp towel in my garage (I live in Florida so very warm) for 60 minutes.
    5) Baked for 55 minutes, I live at normal altitude, close to sea level
    6) Let cool for 2 hours out of pan on cooling rack. CRUCIAL!!!! Dont touch that bread or cut it! I put a thermometer probe to monitor temp. When it was close to room temp, 86°, I called it done. Cutting any sooner and you risk the bread being gummy. The cooling process is just as IMPORTANT as the proofing.

• Mary White says:

Thanks for the reminder about only cutting after bread is at full room temperature.
      When I made -flour bread (so long ago) I remember the recipes said to cool out of pan for many hours (4, 5, 6?).

• Judy says:

17. Bethany says:

Is there a difference between golden flaxseed and regular flaxseed? My local store has Bobs ground whole organic flaxseed and didnt know if it would make a difference. If it will then, i will have to order online.

• Carole says:

When first going Keto I tried the reg flax, it tasted terrible to me. Tried the golden and love it. When I make any kind of bread I always use the golden..gives the bread some crunch.

18. Leo says:

Is there any substitute fir the whey powder? I can’t get zero carb no flavor whey in my country. Maybe white egg protein?

Thanks

• Lucy says:

I would not use the whey powder because it has soy lecithin in it. If you have had cancer, especially estrogen positive cancer, you must eliminate soy from your diet. So this recipe must be modified for those who switched to Paleo because of cancer.