With these microwave keto crackers, calling them ‘easy’ doesn’t cut it… they’re suuuper easy! Expect delicious and crisp results in under 15 minutes.
Gluten Free & Keto Crackers
Ultra Easy (i.e. Microwave!)
These are simply terrific you guys, and particularly handy if in a pickle (or just feeling a little bit lazy!). With just 5 staple keto pantry ingredients, you get some proper crackers in no time.
Awesome for a solo snack, absolutely killer with some cheese (brie-still-my-heart!)… and did anyone say avocado ‘toast’ (just make them bigger, tostada style)!
Easy-peasy! Melt the butter, mix together, chill for a few mins, roll out (pressing with a tortilla press works great too!), cutout and microwave for 30-50 seconds (depending on size, your microwave etc).
But here’s the deal: for best results you ought to cook the dough right away! You see, I found that when I left the dough to hang out in the fridge overnight the crackers took twice as long to cook (and they didn’t get as crisp!). My thought is that the almond flour absorbs the liquid overnight and becomes very soft and hard to crisp up quickly in the microwave (think blanched almonds!).
So my one rule, I repeat: cook your dough right away!
Now, I also noticed that if I cooked them all at once the ones in the center cooked much faster (microwave newbie here!). So I also suggest you cook them in batches.
Want to bake them up in the oven? Sure thing! Do 350F for 10-14 mins, until golden. But if you’re going through the ‘oven hassle’, may I suggest you whip up some of our other recipes? Say our buttery almond, ultra flaky or cheddar cheese crackers!
I found that for these keto crackers, super fine almond flour did a killer job (solo!). Add a touch of xanthan gum (I use Bob’s), and we’re golden.
So here’s the deal guys, cooking baked goods in your microwave can lead to rather bland baked goods (they don’t brown etc). And so while the crackers are good solo, they’re actually delicious with some seasoning thrown in.
My favorite here? Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel without a doubt (it’s a 1/3rd of the price at TJ stores though)!
But if in a pinch, you can always just do black pepper or throw in a touch of garlic powder or flakes.
(40 Second!) Ultra Easy Keto Crackers
For the keto crackers
- Melt butter in a small (microwave safe!) bowl until just melted, but not piping hot. Set aside to cool while you mix the flours.
- Add the almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt to a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly. Pour in the butter and mix until evenly distributed (I just use my hands!). Add in your lightly whisked egg (1/2 egg is roughly 1 1/2 tablespoons or 25g) and continue to knead until it forms into a ball. Cover in cling film and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to solidify the butter.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, sprinkle seasoning and lightly roll again to press it in. Trim to desired cracker size and separate gently. The dough is fragile, so I separate the pieces by running a knife underneath.
- For medium crackers, cook on high in the parchment paper for 20 seconds, open the microwave and cook for another 15-20 seconds. The crackers will continue to crisp up as they cool, but I suggest you do a trial with a couple to nail down your time!
- Note: cooking times can vary a lot depending on your cracker size and microwave, and I found they cook more evenly in batches of 4-6 (as opposed to the whole batch!) and in two bursts. My microwave is 1000 watts. Also be sure to cook your dough right away, as leaving it in the fridge overnight makes the almond flour harder to crisp up (as it has absorbed the liquid and essentially 'blanched').
- Note 2: these can be baked too! Just do 8-12 minutes in your oven at 350F/180C until lightly golden (will depend on size and thickness). And to make them extra crisp, feel free to do a double bake biscotti-style (i.e. let them cool, and bake them again for 5 minutes).