These gluten free and keto cheddar cheese crackers are absolutely delicious and a breeze to whip up. Lightly spiced and with a killer soft (and airy!) crunch, these are an ultimate keto crunchy snack!
Keto Cheddar Cheese Crackers 🧀
Ultra Addictive 🙋🏿
These keto cheesy crackers, like any good cracker of its kind, are ultra addictive and make for an awesome snack. Plus, they’re are not your average (i.e. dense) grain free crackers. Rather, think loads of buttery flakey goodness and a wonderful soft crunch.
They’re seriously ridiculously tasty and can hold up solo. Though we do love to serve them up with some sour cream, as the tanginess contrasts beautifully with all the cheesy goodness.
The Deets 🔍
Creaming the butter properly is paramount here to build a nice structure for the crackers. Think some crunch and a beautiful flakey texture. So start with the butter at room temp and don’t stop beating until it’s soft and airy.
The other indispensable thing, is that the dough be thoroughly chilled before baking. Why? The butter in the dough has to have solidified once again before you can roll it out and cut it up.
We found that for these keto crackers, super fine almond flour did a killer job (solo!). Add a touch of xanthan gum, and we’re golden.
Gluten Free & Keto Cheddar Cheese Crackers
Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Cups for an instant conversion.
- 192 g almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional*
- 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 80 g grass-fed butter at room temperature
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 80 g grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Add almond flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, nutritional yeast (optional, see notes), paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- Cream butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add in egg, mixing until just incorporated. The mixture will appear slightly 'broken' (i.e. not thoroughly smooth).
- With your mixer on low, add in half of your flour mixture- mixing until thoroughly incorporated. Mix in the rest and mix in the cheddar cheese.
- Wrap cracker dough with cling film (saran wrap) and refrigerate for at least an hour (up to a few days).
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and cut squares with a pastry wheel or knife. Note that the thickness will determine much of the texture: thinner cookies will be much crispier, while a thick dough (particularly if under-baked) will yield a softer one.
- Place shaped cookies on the prepared baking tray and sprinkle toppings of choice (optional). Place in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, until fully golden. Note that we found baking time varies a lot here, depending on thickness and size of the cookies. So just keep an eye out for them the first time around.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.