Ultra cheesy and warming-to-boot, this keto cauliflower mac and cheese is bound to become a favorite low carb side (or ahem, comforting main!).
Keto Cauliflower Mac ‘N Cheese
Easy & One-Pot!
When it comes to this keto mac and cheese, calling it easy just doesn’t cut it… it’s suuuper easy! Think one pot and only a handful of pantry staples, making it an ideal weeknight side or meal.
The trick here is to cook the cauliflower in a browned-butter and heavy cream base, rather than boiling it in water first. This way you’ll achieve true creamy and cheesy glory!
Plus, feel free to play around with a few things. For instance, I love doing a sharp cheddar and gruyère mix when I’m feeling extra fancy. And adding in some deeply caramelized onions at the end also takes it to a whole other level!
(One-Pot!) Keto Cauliflower Mac 'N Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- kosher salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons arrowroot powder or 1/4-1/2 tsp konjac
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded (sharp!) cheddar cheese or a mix of gruyere & cheddar
- Break up the cauliflower head into bite-sized florets and set aside.
- Add butter to a Dutch oven or pot over medium/low heat and cook, stirring every so often, until fully browned (4-6 minutes). Add heavy cream, mustard, garlic powder, black pepper, a generous pinch of salt and stir until combined. Add in the cauliflower bites, stir until evenly coated, cover with lid and simmer until softened but still retain a bite (10-15 minutes). Feel free to add a little extra salt now, keeping in mind you'll be adding the cheese still.
- Make an arrowroot or konjac powder slurry (i.e. mix the powder with a couple tablespoons of cold water). Add it to the cauliflower mixture and stir until thickened (I've noticed various brands behave a little different, so just add it little by little to taste). Add in the cheese, stir until melted and serve right away!