Craving bread?! Whip up these easy and scrumptious garlic keto breadsticks in a jiffy! Think just 2g net carbs a pop (and dairy free too!).
Garlic Keto Breadsticks (Or Twists!)
Ready in 30!
Think of these keto breadsticks as the perfect buddies to any salad or soup, and of course as one killer entree! Whip them up as garlic bread, sub in some cheddar for ultra cheesy goodness and you can even do ‘sugar cinnamon’ for dessert (ahem, cinnamon roll knots!).
And feel free to shape these guys as twists, braids, or even just strips. But I must say I have a penchant for twists, as you get more sauce with every bite (and the texture comes out ace!).
That said, don’t forget the homemade keto marinara for dipping (it’s crucial in my book guys!).
The Dairy Free & Keto Dough
I’m using our famous Crazy Keto Dough (for everything!) here. It’s easy-peasy to whip up, dairy free, and you can leave the dough in the fridge for 3-4 days (i.e. you can whip up individual batches of several things!).
The one consideration would be the baking time. Say, you can bake them for just 15 minutes so they stay all nice and dough-y inside. And if you you do 20-25 mins (what I did), you’ll get a more cookie-like texture (i.e. breadsticks!). Both are well and good, just a taste preference.
There’s not much to it guys! You simply whip up a batch of dough, roll it out, brush with garlic butter, cut, twist and bake. But feel free to get some deets ‘n tricks below!
- Roll out the dough into a square (or rectangular-ish shape) roughly 10×10″ in size between two sheets of parchment paper. I like to trim as I roll out to get a rough rectangle shape, and waste the least dough in trimmings (because ahem… there’s no wasting of precious keto ingredients here!).
2. Brush (or smear!) with the garlic butter (or ghee!). I also like to add plenty of fresh parsley, but it’s totally optional.
3. Trim into strips (I use a pastry cutter) and twist, pinching the ends together to avoid unravelling while baking.
4. Sprinkle some fresh parsley and bake away! I also highly suggest brushing with more garlic butter right out of the oven (and guess what, adding more fresh parsley!).
I like a mixture of super fine almond flour (Anthony’s super fine is awesome) and coconut flour (again Anthony’s, best taste and texture by a mile!). Add a touch of xanthan gum, baking powder, and we’re golden.
No substituting flours here and the xanthan gum is absolutely necessary. And, if possible, weigh your ingredients for consistent results.
Garlic Dairy Free & Keto Breadsticks (Or Twists!)
Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Cups for an instant conversion.
For the keto breadsticks
- fresh parsley to garnish
- our keto marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- Whip up a batch of our Crazy Keto Dough. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes while you prep the rest (and up to 5 days in the fridge).
- Make compound garlic butter by mixing the softened butter with the parsley, garlic, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Roll out the rested dough between two sheets of parchment paper with a rolling pin until roughly 10x10 inches in size. To get a perfect square, simply trim the uneven edges, patch them up and keep rolling until evenly sized.
- Assemble by brushing with compound butter, folding the dough in half and cutting into 10 strips with a pastry cutter. Twist the strips, pinching the dough together to seal closed. You can freeze the breadsticks at this point for two months, and bake straight from the freezer (adding a few more minutes in the oven).
- Place the breadsticks in prepared tray and bake for 15 minutes for doughy sticks and 20-25 for crispier ones (what I did!). Brush with a touch more melted butter and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- These guys are best served warm straight from the oven, but they also do re-warm quite well. Keep in the fridge for 3 days and freeze for 2 months.