With a flaky almond flour pie crust and an ultra fresh filling, this keto blueberry galette truly is as good as it gets (and easy peasy to whip up!).
Keto Blueberry Galette 🫐
With a suuuper flaky pie crust!
And in case you’re wondering how this all-butter pie crust differs from my staple: it browns better, it’s a little easier to handle and, as its name implies, it’s all butter.
Feeling a little extra?! Whip up a full-on blueberry pie (you know, with a lattice crust, fluted edges ‘n all that jazz).
The Filling (‘n Thickner)
Simply toss the strawberries, rhubarb, sweetener, orange zest and thickener together.
I suggest truly sweetening to taste here. As we all know, keto palates adapt quickly to the absence of sugar- i.e. your fresh summer blueberries (or frozen variety, ahem!) are likely to even be plenty sweet (nearly) solo.
Still, I like to add a touch of allulose and a squeeze of lemon juice to amp up the flavors. Though Lakanto Golden (barely any cooling aftertaste here) and xylitol (non-corn though to avoid tummy troubles!) are solid options too.
And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup (or kitty!) around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys!
p.s. needless to say, if not keto your good old granular sugar will work the charm.
The (Pie Crust!) Deets
When rolling out the pie crust, you may want to use parchment or wax paper. Given the lack of gluten, the crust is more fragile and it will break easily if not handled with care. So I suggest rolling it out between two sheets of parchment paper. Easy peasy.
If it begins to become unmanageable as it comes to room temperature (you know, and the butter melts away), just pop it into the freezer for a few minutes before carrying on.
One last thing. Like with any pastry dough, make sure not to over-process the dough. The mixture ought to resemble coarse breadcrumbs rather than cookie dough.
And just pinch together any cracks. No biggie either, just takes a little practice.
And… a little video story!
@paolavanderhulst summer 🥰 #cookingtiktok #asmr #asmrfood #healthyrecipes ♬ original sound – Paola van der Hulst
(Almond Flour!) Keto Blueberry Galette
For the keto pie crust
- 1 batch suuuper flaky keto pie crust
For the blueberry filling
For the keto pie crust
- See recipe video for guidance on the pie crust, and whip up a double batch! You can make it three days ahead, or even freeze it for a couple months (simply thaw it out in your fridge overnight and roll it out per usual!).
To assemble the blueberry galette
- Roll out pie crust between two sheets of parchment paper into a circular shape. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes (particularly important if you’re working in a warm place). You’ll want to work quickly and in a cool environment, and if the crust becomes unmanageable at any point simply pop it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Mix together all the ingredients for your filling, take the crust out of the freezer, add the blueberries in the middle and fold in the edges to shape into a galette. If there are any cracks simply press them together with your fingers.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes, brush with egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes until fully golden. I’ve noticed the baking time here varies a lot from oven to oven, so just keep an eye out for it from minute 20.
- Serve it warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream (pretty please!).