Extra (extra!) fluffy and easy-peasy to whip up, this paleo and keto chocolate mousse is bound to satisfy any and all chocolate cravings!
Paleo & Keto Chocolate Mousse
For One (Or Two!)
This (fairly instant!) keto chocolate mousse is an ideal no-bake low carb treat to whip up year round. Serve it extra chilled for balmy summer days, and keep it going year-round as a satisfying and comforting chocolate treat.
It’s also one of those not-fussy-at-all recipes, which adapts easily do your dietary needs. Be the sweeteners, chocolate or ‘creams’, this recipe is proof that simple recipes can indeed be veeery good.
There’s honestly no science to this low carb chocolate mousse as you won’t be making an egg custard. Instead, you’ll bloom the cocoa in hot coconut milk along with the sweetener, allow it to cool and subsequently fold in some whipped cream (coconut, heavy or sour all work wonders!).
Now, blooming the cocoa (i.e. dissolving it in a hot liquid) is a classic baking trick to amp up the chocolate goodness (think our classic keto brownies or chocolate cake!). So while you can technically skip this step and just add in some cocoa to whipped cream, it’s my humble opinion that you absolutely shouldn’t!
Cocoa or cacao? Both work great, just know that quality really matters here. My favorite will forever be the Dutch-processed alkaline cocoa Valrhona, known to be one of (if not the) best cocoas in the world.
But feel free to use a raw cacao powder (arguably more nutritional perks here), though keep in mind that your chocolate mousse will be lighter in color and more reddish in hue. Both are well and good, as long as they’re unsweetened!
You can pretty much use whatever sweetener floats your boat! So anything from allulose (my favorite because no aftertaste and zero GI!), erythritol (some slight cooling aftertaste, but no biggie here!), xylitol (ensure its not corn derived to avoid tummy troubles!)… or even some pure monk fruit!
And if paleo, or not restricted by sugars, your best bet is maple syrup or raw honey!
Fun fact: it might also be my taste buds here, but I’ve noticed that stevia-based sweeteners (such as Pyure) don’t work so great when chocolate is involved as the aftertaste is accentuated. So I cannot recommend enough that you don’t use stevia-based sweeteners here.
And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup (or kitty) around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys!
(Extra Fluffy!) Paleo & Keto Chocolate Mousse For-1
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk *
- 2-4 tablespoons allulose or sweetener of choice, to taste**
- 1-3 tablespoons cocoa powder use the smaller amount for milk chocolate and the larger for dark (I use 3!)
- pinch espresso powder or instant coffee, optional
- pinch kosher salt up to 1/8-1/4 tsp for a 'salted' version (my favorite!)
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut cream**
- soft whipped cream
- flakey sea salt optional
- Heat up coconut milk and sweetener of choice until it just begins to simmer. Mix it up very well with the cocoa, espresso and salt in a small bowl and allow to cool completely (you can do a water bath to speed up the process!).
- Add heavy whipping cream (or chilled coconut cream) to a chilled bowl and whip until relatively stiff peaks form. Blend in the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to a serving glass and enjoy right away. Or hold your horses and chill the mousse for a more set version (my favorite!).