Looking for an easy-peasy (yet absolutely delicious!) low carb treat?! Look no further than these keto peanut butter cookies, with just four staple pantry ingredients (and at 1g net carb a pop)!
Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
The Easiest (& Best!)
If you crush on peanut butter as much as I do, then these keto peanut butter cookies are an absolute must! Lightly crisp on the outside with a melt-in-your-mouth center, they’re honestly bound to have you swooning.
Plus, they’re super duper easy to whip up (just whisk!) and they freeze great (both baked and unbaked!).
And, if you’re on the prowl for more excellent peanut butter desserts, don’t forget to check out our one-bowl peanut butter blondies!
Classic (you know, sugar!) peanut butter cookies call for a 1:1:1 ratio. i.e. 1 egg for 1 cup peanut butter for 1 cup sugar.
But if you’ve been keto for a while, you’ll likely find one cup of sweetener to be sickeningly sweet. I generally do 1/2 cup… but with the latest batch I think you could even go to 1/3 cup, particularly if you’ve really been limiting your sweet intake.
Now, be sure to check out my ingredient suggestions to ensure you nail these guys!
The Peanut Butter
While I generally favor homemade nut butters, these keto peanut butter cookies are an exception as you really want that creamy smooth texture.
My suggestion is that you go for an unsweetened and salted variety (I really like the 365 brand from Whole Foods).
Whatever peanut butter you decide, just be sure it’s runny at room temperature (i.e. that its natural). You see, the ‘always solid’ varieties have generally had some of the natural fat drained or have added emulsifiers.
Just note that you’ll get slightly different results if you use erythritol vs xylitol or allulose. Least aftertaste will come from xylitol or allulose (though tbh the cooling effect from erythritol is minimal here!)… but the cookies will tend to spread more with xylitol and allulose (and take a few hours to set).
And last but not least, just like with our famous bakery-style chocolate chip cookies, I like to add a hint of blackstrap molasses for that burnt sugar kick (and needless to say, a tonne of umami). It’s just 0.15g net carbs a cookie, but it’s also totally optional!
If using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup (or kitty!) around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys!
(The Easiest!) Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Add the sweetener, molasses (optional) and egg to a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer (or whisk!) until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. If using erythritol, keep in mind it won't dissolve completely and that's ok.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, followed by the peanut butter. If you use erythritol, your mixture will be a bit crumbly, worry not! And also note that depending on the savory-ness of your peanut butter, you may need to add a touch of kosher salt at this point (see notes).
- Scoop out the cookie dough, form into rounds and press down with a fork. Place in a prepared tray and freeze for 15 minutes prior to baking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Feel free to sprinkle with flaky sea salt half way through!
- Allow to cool completely before digging (seriously!), and store in an airtight container for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.