Home » breads 'n biscuits » The Incredible Keto ‘Banana’ Bread 🍌 gluten free & grain free

The Incredible Keto ‘Banana’ Bread 🍌 gluten free & grain free

This low carb and keto banana bread is truly incredible (at 2g net carbs a slice!)!! Totally flavorful and moist, you’ll surely be hard-pressed to notice the actual lack of bananas.

Freshly sliced keto banana bread with coffee
Mock Sugar Free & Keto Banana Bread

The Incredible Keto Banana Bread

Completely Sugar-Free & Banana-less!

Just like our ‘apple’ muffins (and pie!), this keto banana bread is bound to fool everyone! Super moist and bursting with an incredible banana flavor, its dense yet cakey texture is truly spot on.

So whip it up as a loaf or make as muffins (and of course, cupcakes!). Make solo or add pecans, walnuts or chocolate chunks(!!). I’m thinking a pat of butter and drizzle of our keto salted caramel will go nicely too ;)!

Honestly, truly incredible at just 2g net carbs a slice!

A sliced keto banana bread with a cup of coffee
Mock Sugar Free & Keto Banana Bread

The Banana Extract

It simply tastes like ripe bananas (ideal!) and is completely sugar-free and nil carbs (super ideal!). But if you’ve tried other good ones, be sure to drop them in the comments (always love your recs!)

The Sweetener

You’ve got good options here! Allulose is my favorite for best texture and no aftertaste now (you do need to add 30% more though), Lakanto Golden (baked goods with erythritol can have a slight hard texture, still not big deal here though), xylitol (non-corn though to avoid tummy troubles!).

Pyure (an erythritol and stevia blend) is also a good one for muffins and quick breads, particularly if you’re trying to limit your sugar alcohol consumption (it’s added stevia makes it twice as sweet as sugar… i.e. you add half!).

Oh, and if not restricted by sugars, simply sub 1-to-1 with coconut or regular sugar.

Also note that adding a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses adds that brown sugar kick (i.e. a tonne of umami and improves browning!). Keep in mind that blackstrap molasses is considered a low glycemic sugar. One teaspoon (7g) adds 5g net carbs, so just 0.4g net carbs a slice (i.e. half the sugar of a strawberry!). But carbs aside, it’s also known to be a nutritional powerhouse rich in vital vitamins and minerals; such as iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, and selenium.

Fun fact: Molasses contain high amounts of chromium, which has been studied to increase glucose tolerance levels.

But if it’s still not your thing, just leave it out or do a brown sugar sub (such as Lakanto Golden!)!

And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup (or kitty!) around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys! 🐕

Freshly baked mock keto banana bread
Mock Sugar Free & Keto Banana Bread

I like a mixture of super fine almond flourpsyllium husk, coconut flour and golden flaxseed meal best(Click through for the exact brands I use).

Just keep in mind that for best texture and rise, you’ll always want to regrind your flaxseed meal in a dry blender or bullet. And be sure you’re either using either very finely ground psyllium powder or to regrind your husks!

A slice of keto 'banana' bread with coffee
Mock Sugar Free & Keto Banana Bread
A sliced keto banana bread with a cup of coffee
Mock Sugar Free & Keto Banana Bread

Freshly sliced mock keto banana bread

The Incredible Keto Banana Bread

This low carb and keto banana bread is truly incredible (at 2g net carbs a slice!)!! Totally flavorful and moist, you'll surely be hard-pressed to notice the actual lack of bananas.
Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Cups for an instant conversion.
5 from 65 votes
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 1 hr
Total Time 1 hr 20 mins
Course Dessert
Cuisine American
Servings 12 slices
Calories 186 kcal

• Heat up the butter in a small saucepan over medium/low heat. Continue to simmer the butter, stirring once in a while, until fully browned (about 4-6 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the rest. Note: browning the butter is totally optional, but it does add a tonne of flavor so it comes highly suggested!
  • Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line (or grease and flour with coconut flour) a 8.5x4.5" or 5x9" loaf pan. I used the smaller size, but the larger one will work just as well (just expect a shorter bread!).
  • Whisk together in a medium bowl almond flour, golden flaxseed meal, psyllium husk, coconut flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
  • Add eggs, sweetener and molasses (optional) to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes until airy and lighter in color. With the mixer on, add in the banana and vanilla extracts, apple cider vinegar and browned butter.
  • Add in the dry flour mixture in two parts, alternating with the yogurt. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes until fully incorporated and elastic, the batter will thicken as you mix (think cookie dough!). Fold in the nuts (optional).
  • Distribute batter evenly into pan, smoothing out the top with a wet spatula. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until deep golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Check in on the bread after minute 15, and cover with aluminum foil as soon as it begins to turn golden (about minute 20 for me). Alternatively, feel free to make 12 muffins out of a batch (bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean).
  • Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing, and cool completely in a rack before glazing or cutting. Keep in mind that your banana bread will continue to cook while it cools, so don't slice it before!

Notes

*For best texture and rise, always regrind your psyllium husk (or powder) and flax meal in a dry blender or bullet.
**The perception of sweetness changes for all of us while on a keto diet, which is why I always like to give you a range for the sweetener (i.e. so you can adjust it to your new taste buds!). The higher amount will give you equivalent sweetness of traditional baked goods, while the lower the least amount of sweetener you can get away with (at least imo!).
***A high quality banana extract is an absolute must! Out of the handful I’ve tried, the Pure Banana extract from Olive Nation is the one I’ve liked best (not sponsored!). It simply tastes like ripe bananas (ideal!) and is completely sugar-free and nil carbs (super ideal!). Also note that you can add it to taste: with 2 tsp giving you a mild banana flavor and 3 tsp a more intense one (my pick!).
Please note that nutrition facts were estimated per slice, assuming a yield of 12 (2g net carbs!).

Nutrition

Serving: 1slice (or muffin) | Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 0.9mg
Keyword keto banana bread, low carb banana bread
Whip up this recipe?Comment below or drop me a line @gnomgnom._ and tag #gnomgnomyum!

1. Nancy Albea says:

This banana bread was fantastic! I added Lily’s chocolate chips and wow, what a treat! This will be a frequently made recipe in my home!! Thanks so much!

2. cezanne mcclelland says:

This is so good but I’m not keto and notice it’s making my stomach 🤫. How or where could I substitute lupin flour in this recipe to lower the fat content? Thanks

3. Niki says:

These muffins were absolutely amazing! The texture is perfect! I’ve never had a keto baked good turn out so well. I had ordered the banana and blueberry extracts a couple years ago but hadn’t really used them much. I got to thinking about all the flavors that I could use your recipe as a base for.

Last night I successfully made blueberry crumble muffins! I kept every thing the same just switched out banana extract for 2 teaspoons of blueberry and 1 teaspoon of butter extract. I had some frozen wild blueberries, I added 4 or 5 to each muffin (pushed them in with a toothpick). My boyfriend requested the crumble topping but they would still be amazing without it.

I’m thinking lemon or orange for my next batch!

This recipe is a keeper!!! Thank you so much!!

4. Ren says:

This is the best Keto baked good I’ve made. (And I’m not a rocket scientist). Props to you!!! Thanks to Highfalutin’ for linking your site and featuring your recipe!

5. Faiza says:

Love love love this recipe. I’ve made it numerous times and even my kids devour it.

Quick question: can you make it dairy free? What would be the substitute for butter and sour cream? Need to make it for my sister but she can’t have dairy.

• Kari says:

I make this recipe dairy free. I substitute goat butter for cows butter as Most who are allergic to cows Caesin or protein can eat goat products and use a dairy free sour cream which can be found at natural food markets. You can also substitute butter for coconuts oil (haven’t tried it) and make sour cream out of cashews (many recipes online. Good luck.

6. Sandra says:

This banana bread is amazing especially since you don’t use real bananas to make it. I decided to add some sugar free chocolate chips as well as diced walnuts. I have made this several times and it comes out awesome every time. My partner loves it since there is no real sugar in it.

7. Chef Stefi says:

Is this a no fail, recipe?! I couldn’t get to the mixer, so I used the food processor. My loaf pans were in the wash, so I divided the recipe between two disposable foil pans. To top things off, I had to leave before they were done baking, so 20 minutes at 350, then oven turned off and left for a couple hours. They came out perfectly!!!
    Also, I added 1 1/4 cups Lily’s Chocolate Chips. Happily, I had already purchased the banana extract without knowing it was “the” one. Next time, I will probably use 4 teaspoons!

8. LoriB says:

Just made in a loaf. Really spot on. I used a countertop Breville Smart convection Oven. I covered the top after 15min and baked for a total of 45min. Perfect!

9. Lisa says:

Hey Paola 👋🏼 It’s been a while since I’ve been in the comments! Hope all is well with you 😊 Just popping in to say congratulations on the win in the High Falutin’ Low Carb banana bread muffin battle 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼No surprise there! 🤗🥰

10. Andy says:

This recipe is spot on, nice and moist and perfect through the center. I haven’t made a bad recipe from your site/books as of yet!

11. Sandra says:

This recipe is amazing. While it was still warm we cut 2 slices and buttered them. It was moist and the nuts added the right amount of crunch. This recipe is perfect for a sweet tooth.

• Cherokee Carter Gary says:

I just clicked on Gnome- Gnomes best ingredients suggestions and it took me to Amazon All the products were there I just ordered Maybe if you try again they may have been out of stock before I hope this helps

• CeeJoy says:

There is all kinds of Psyllium Husk powder on amazon. Sometimes pages fall off as supplier is out, but others are available NOW brand and Anthony’s are what I use.

• Chef Stefi says:

You might try your local pharmacy. No kidding! Just look for plain psyllium in the fiber section not in the baking section (Walmart). You’ll have to read the labels. In a pinch, I’ve taken psyllium capsules apart, too.

• Heather Newman says:

I found psyllium husk at my local bulk food store….I couldn’t find any at the grocery stores here….better price than amazon too…

12. Carol C. says:

Excellent loaf. The nuts really add the right feel and taste. I do need to get the banana extract you suggested, I do feel that will improve on an already moist, flavourful loaf. Keep your recipes coming! Thanks

13. Carol says:

Absolutely, the best cake I’ve had since doing keto. Came out fluffy, and moist. I buttered my slice, just my way. I reduced the ‘sugar’ less than the minimum, and I think it’s just right. If possible don’t leave out the nuts. Keep those recipes coming, please!!

14. Lynn says:

This is one of my very favorite keto recipes. I have always made banana muffins for my daughter during the first week back to school. It’s a 12 year tradition. We both started keto last year, and I was so worried about missing that tradition. She’s in college and I wanted to send her back with a batch of mom- made muffins! I made this recipe and we both loved them! I make them about once a month now. I have also used the apple extract from the same company with cardamom for a fallish flavor. I have always loved super duper moist (almost under done) muffins, so I doubled the sour cream. They are amazing! Thank you!

15. Laura says:

My instant conversion button is not working and has not been working… 🙁
    I love you and your recipes so much and you are so brave.

16. Lisa says:

Paola – just discovered your site a few weeks ago and your recipes are amazing. We have been LCHF/Keto since 2010 and have a running joke in our house when I say “it tastes just like ….” and my husband responds – “you do not remember what that tastes like!”

Made this one over the weekend and cannot believe how much it take like the real thing…. even hubby approved. Thank you for all you do!

17. Sophie says:

I have made this recipe several different times. I just can’t get enough of it! I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and made them into 8 mini loafs. I’m writing this review right now and shoving banana bread in my mouth at the same time.

18. Marie says:

19. Marie says:

Ok kids, you got to try this ALMOND poppy seeds muffins. I used exactly the same recipe. The only changes I made was no molasses, 2 tbls lemon extract and 7 drops of lemon essential oil . I added 1/ cup sliced toasted almonds and sprinkled a few on top. Also 2 tbls of poppy seeds. Really you could add them or not. They do have under 1 carb per tbls. After you minus the fiber . Anyway you are going to love them I promise. Next try 2 tbls orange extract 7 drops of orange essential oil ( only oil that can be consumed internally, I use doterra.) Maybe almonds, or not.

20. Teri says:

This was Simply Delicious and what I’ve been missing on a Keto diet!! Made mine into muffins as you suggested too. Soooooo Yummy!!! One question, in your Nutrition Facts, are you counting in the ‘optional’ nuts? Love Love your recipes!!

21. Courtney L. says:

YOU ARE A FREAKING LOW CARB DESSERT GENIUS! I have made quite a few of your recipes (all amazing) and just made this ‘banana’ bread for my mom’s birthday. I was the only person there on the keto diet, yet everyone devoured this bread. The only things I did differently was add a tsp of cinnamon and subbed the nuts for Lilly’s sugar free chocolate chips. I will absolutely be making this again! Thank you!!!

22. Renée says:

Delicious banana bread. Keep making it over and over. Always have some individuality frozen in the freezer. Think we could do a lemon bread exactly as per recipe but switching lemon extract for the banana extract. Good job Paola. Your the best

23. Gina says:

This is truly an exceptional recipe. The texture was spot on. Everyone that has tried this can not believe it’s A. Sugar free and B. Not made with flour. The browned butter does make the flavor. The only thing I will do differently is toast the nuts prior to baking. Thanks and keep your excellent recipes coming. I am a huge fan.

24. Karen says:

Wow…this banana bread is “AMAZING”!!! and you have no idea the misery I had to go through to make it!!! My fault not yours at all!!! I did not read the first paragraph of your description nor did it register through the ingredients that there were absolutely no bananas in it, or that Keto will not let me have bananas! I won’t go into the lengthy day I had trying to figure out what to do with the entire bunch of bananas I mashed up (was going to make multiple loaves and freeze) before I even found a recipe to make banana bread. I am just so more than thankful it turned out as AWESOME as it did. I did add some bananas to it thinking it was going to be way to gooey but it wasn’t, well just a tad, and I can’t wait to make it again without them.